Radio help please?

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee that has the AM/FM single CD player.

When I turn on the radio it says, "Paused". I hit eject and it goes through the motions but no CD comes out, the "Paused" light goes out and stays out until next time I turn the radio off and back on.

I can't insert a CD, either it has one in there or it thinks it does.

The AM/FM works fine so......

Junk the radio? Try and get it fixed? I think I can get a stock replacement on Ebay maybe..

Reply to
XS11E

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

XS11E did pass the time by typing:

You have two cds stuck in there or one with a paper lable that peeled off.

Dissection is the only way to get it out.

I pulled my radio about one month after the ZJ was delivered and installed a custom unit. :) It's only a cassette unit.

DougW

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

My thought too, but there's nothing jammed in there.

Reply to
XS11E

"DougW" wrote in news:j%ZWf.8074$FD4.3132@dukeread07:

I thought of that but there's nothing stuck in there that I can find so.. disection may be the only way but how does one get the darn thing apart? I can remove the radio and front panel but I haven't figured out how to get the CD player exposed.

Reply to
XS11E

On mine the top and bottom are just held on like big clips. Once the face is off they just pop off. Been years since I actually looked at it.

you can rule out antitheft since that year didn't have it. There isn't an "ERR" on the face so that rules out most basic problems.

What's left is - sticky buttons or sticking switches. - crudded up laser rack/screw (the read laser runs back and forth on a track and if that gets gummed up with dirt it can cause the head to stop moving)

My service book has doodah for diagnostics, apart from checking the fuses.

If you were in the neighborhood I'd take a look at it, but it's a bit of a drive to Oklahoma from Atlanta (going by your IP)

Those stupid radios are expensive. So much so that it's cheaper to get a single DIN (your radio is DIN and 1/2) and an adapter. That way you could eventually get XM or an iPod interface/etc.

If you use contact cleaner to clean out the guts make sure it is marked as safe for plastics and don't get any on the clear faceplate or laser. machine oil is ok, but most is either dry or lithium grease.

Reply to
DougW

There are a number of places that repair factory radios. Google "factory radio repair" Several offer free diagnosis and estimates.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

"billy ray" wrote in news:af3ed$442c8e9e$4831b233$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET:

I let my fingers do the walking, the yellow pages show several local, I'll do some calling tomorrow but I expect them to be fairly expensive...

I'll let you know what I find.

Reply to
XS11E

"DougW" wrote in news:9i%Wf.8082$FD4.3693@dukeread07:

I'll look again tomorrow, I plan on pulling it back out when I have more time. I won't need the Jeep again until Monday so when I get home, around 1pm or so, I'll have tomorrow afternoon, Saturday and Sunday to check it out.

???? Even farther, I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

Reply to
XS11E

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

I didn't even know they repaired radios? I'll check, thanks for the tip!

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E wrote in news:Xns9796D1A992238xs11eyahoocom@70.169.32.36:

Replying to my own post, I did pull it out again today and poked around, pried a little and convinced myself there was no CD in the critter but could NOT figure out how to get into the CD portion of the critter so I put it back in, hit the eject a few times and then, once more, tried to insert a CD. This time, it took it, the poking and prying changed something. The CD went in as it should, the display lit up and showed track 1, then reverted to a radio station and it spit out the CD. It did it several times so I called my local Jeep dealer and got some references to repair places. Found one that was happy to take a look (one would only work on GM or Ford???).

I pulled the radio out and took it in, they estimated they could give me an estimate by the "middle of next week" so we'll see what they say.

I'll let you know what happens and thanks for all the suggestions!

Reply to
XS11E

I'll just bet a nickle that the eye is dirty! Before you do anything else, get a CD cleaning disk and insert it. With lick the little brushes will clean the laser eye and it will begin working again.

I had this happen to me several times on an Aiwa system I used to have in my office.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

"Kate" wrote in news:lKkXf.3003$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

Er.... they've already got it. If it is just a dirty eye they probably can fix it easily but there's gotta be more to it than that, why was it jammed solidly before? Why did it report a CD in it when there wasn't one? Why did slightly prying the mechanism apart cure those problems? There has to be considerable dirt(?) in there that caused it to stick along with dirt on the eye and if so, it'll likely stick again unless it's given a complete cleaning.

Reply to
XS11E

For all the time and effort you'll spend getting the stock radio fixed, why not just get an aftermarket unit?

noneyabusiness

noneyabusiness wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have two very good aftermarket units I could put in but then it wouldn't look stock. Every recent aftermarket unit I've seen recently is FUGLY, I haven't seen anyone I could tolerate looking at. If the original unit can't be fixed I'll buy one from Jeep or on Ebay and keep the vehicle or plunk in one of my aftermarket units and sell the rig.

OK, that might sound a bit extreme but that's how it is.

Reply to
XS11E

Scott in Baltimore wrote in news:Z- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

? That doesn't follow at all ?

Reply to
XS11E

Truly a disposable society.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

The Aiwa that I had would do all sorts of weird things. It would auto eject, it would refuse to open the door it would tell me there was a CD and there was none. It would search endlessly for a disk. I tore it apart and cleaned the eye and it worked perfectly.

This may sound wrong, but I hope there is something more wrong, just so it does not make you nutso like that thing did me.

I finally tossed it after the third time it did it. I tore it apart and while testing it I slid the cover on it. I had forgotten to unplug it and bumped the circuit board with the case. One good ZAP and it was all over with. Kate

Reply to
Kate

I can understand that. I hate aftermarket stereos. The factory units have easier to operate controls and none of that flashy stuff that you ahve to get past just to find that eensy little button to seek another station or switch CDs.. Of course, I have never been an audiophile either...

Kate

Reply to
Kate