Best used Volvo (non-wagon) for $15000 or less

Hi, I want to buy a used Volvo. I owned a 1973 model and loved it. I know Ford has bought Volvo and this makes me uncomfortable (I currently own a Ford and it's less than desirable). What is a good, reliable model for $15000 or less? I live in Texas where it's hot all the time, so the AC must be excellent! I don't care if it's standard or auto transmission, 2 door or 4. I really want a c70 convertible but I feel they're probably out of my price range and don't know how reliable/long-lasting they are. All opinions are greatly appreciated!

Reply to
ddog

I personally would look for a good clean 94 or 95 940T. Should run about $4,000-$5,000 in excellent condition. That leaves you with $10,000 for repairs, beer, vacation, whatever. I have a 93 945T and it is smooth, excellent handling and everything works well. A/C ice cold all accessories work well. If you can find a clean 940T you would have a great car with lots of money left over. Engine should be good for 300K without major problems.

Howard

1983 245 and 1993 945T
Reply to
Howard Nelson

Sorry that should be 93 or 94 940T. Don't know where you are in Texas but craigslist has 940's listed in Austin Dallas and Houston area. Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

If Ford ownership of Volvo makes you uncomfortable then why are you even looking at cars made by them. I see Ford ownership of Volvo cars a plus, but if it bothers you then look elsewhere - Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler, GM, etc.

I would have the car including the air conditioning inspected before purchase to make sure it works.

There are very few manual transmission Volvo's sold in the USA these days so you car will likely have an automatic.

If you still want a Volvo then my choice would be a late model V70. The price will be dictated by miles, years and condition, so take a look at Edmunds.com to get an idea of which combination provides the car at the right price.

Reply to
Roadie

v70 is a wagon...i would advise l@@kin' for a nice

940, 940t or 960...1992-1996...you should not have a problem finding one...or, take a l@@k at the used , high miles s80's...i found one for just over $7k, high miles, axcellent condt...still had the dealer sticker in the glove box for $46k....don't be in a hurry, take your time, look around, shop w/cash and have a volvo mechanic l@@k it over....good luck !!

uncomfortable then why are you

inspected before

sold in the USA these

still want a Volvo then my choice would be a late model V70.

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Well, yes the V70 is a wagon. And the point is......????

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:

uncomfortable then why are you

inspected before

sold in the USA these

you still want a Volvo then my choice would be a late model V70.

Reply to
Roadie

The point is that a non-wagon is being looked for. Check the subject line.

IMHO, the later than 1998 S70 is a great car. I have had no major problems with mine and I bought it with 66KMs on the clock for less than half the original cost. It's a bit short on power but I bought it for safety for the fam-dam. There is no shortage of used early-mid 90s Volvos in Ontario. Hope this is the case where you are!

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Roadie wrote:

you uncomfortable then why are you

inspected before

sold in the USA these

you still want a Volvo then my choice would be a late model V70.

Reply to
Jabber

Buy an older Volvo -- before the Ford acquisition -- as countless others have said. I would recommend a 1993-1995 940 Turbo, either in sedan or wagon shape (depending on your preference). In my opinion, they are the last of the "classic" Volvos. Don't get me wrong, though...the Ford Volvos aren't bad cars AT ALL, my daily driver is a

1998 V70XC, it's up to 189,000 miles without any major repairs..

Either way, buy that 1993-1995 940 Turbo (cost should be nothing more than $7,000; I don't know about prices in Texas but here in Maryland a good one runs about $5,000-9,000) and then put the rest of that $15,000 in a savings account for any repairs that MAY come up. You'll be in good shape!

Reply to
Robert

Great cars, though it's getting pretty hard to find one that isn't in need of some attention, they're 12+ years old after all. Great if you can do it yourself, but it can get pricey paying a mechanic.

Reply to
James Sweet