second hand car

I am thinking about buying a second hand car and would like to know what should I look out for and clues that it may have problems?

Plus how big a problem is rust and paint bubbles?

Reply to
phil360

Before you buy, take the car to a competent mechanic you trust. Ask in your public library for the issue of Consumer Reports with information on used cars. It lists the most common problems of the various makes, models, and years.

It is a big problem. Once rust starts, it is hard to stop. Paint bubbles are a warning sign of rust, perhaps a car that has been repainted to cover rust.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes