clicking sounds from wheel on V70

Have a 1998 V70....when the steering wheel is turned all the way (or almost all the way), on either direction, there are clicking sounds coming from the wheel(s).

Tie-rods were replaced a year ago...

Any suggestion on what's wrong? CV joints?

thanks.

Reply to
Albert Ma

Most likely CV joints. Check to see if the boots are intact (not ripped), what is the mileage?

Reply to
Jfet

No, very unlikely to be CV joints. Far more likely to be the lock stops. There's a little arm on each hub which comes up against a nylon pad at full lock to stop the steering from turning any further. When you drive along on full lock, these arms move up and down on the pads as the suspension moves. If there's not sufficient lubrication on them, they make a horrible noise.

Jack up the front of the car and remove the front wheels. Turn the steering from lock to lock and observe the bits which stop it going any further. Gives the ends of the arms and the nylon pads a liberal dose of grease, and spread it with your finger over the rubbing surfaces. This should solve the problem!

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

I would check to see if the steering stops have grease on them. They are small whitish plastic pieces on the rear part of the lower control arms. That is an easy and cheap fix, but may not be the answer.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

now that you mention...I think it happened before, a couple of years ago....and grease was the answer then...getting forgetful now..

Reply to
Albert Ma

Check the level of power steering fluid in the reservoir. When it's low, a knocking or vibration sensation is produced when steering at full lock; I wouldn't call it a 'clicking' but perception of it could vary case by case.

If it's low, you have a leak somewhere.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

There's a good picture of the stops at

I've had this noise on our 850 and S70 and this has always done the trick.

Reply to
ekk