Speedometer freaking out - Odometer not working at all

What is going on?

I have a 1987 Volvo 240 wagon. And I love it. But, the car's got some issues that are starting to p*ss me off.

My speedometer works in the morning, just fine. I drive it to work, and in the afternoon when I drive home - nothing. It doesn't move. Then, after driving for about 15-30 minutes, it will bounce up to whatever speed i'm going. It's scary.

My Odometer has not been working at all.

Can this be fixed (easily and affodably)? Could I do it myself?

Help, please.

I'd like to know how fast I'm driving. The odometer's not AS important, but I'm guessing since they failed at the same time, the problem might be related.

Cheers.

Reply to
Chantpa

My guess is a bad (cracked) solder connection in the speedometer. If you are handy with a soldering iron it is a simple job to resolder the connections; the solder where the speedometer electrical connector attaches to the board is a big suspect.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Here's what I did to handle my broken odometer:

Once you get into it you will likely find the little gear has become mush, and is affecting the whole thing. You can call Jeff Caplan at Odometergears.com and he can help as well. Best, Carter

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
carterbear1

Mike...I think you are right. When I jiggle my (broken) odometer reset button, the speedometer jumps up to show my current speed. Weird, eh? Sound like the issue you suspected?

Sadly, I'm not good with a solder....well, I've never attempted to solder anything, but I'm guessing it's not my strongest talent.

I'm guessing if I were to bring it in and have someone do this for me, they'd charge me an arm and a leg.

What d'ya reckon?

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
Chantpa

Call up a TV shop and tell them you have an electronic speedometer with some cracked solder joints and ask if they'll fix it. Otherwise are there any techie kids in your area? I fix a lot of stuff but I'm not sure how many others like me are out there.

Reply to
James Sweet

just went thru similar problems with my '89 240... the odometer problem is well-known: a tiny gear in the mechanism has lost one or more of the teeth, and a replacement gear is about $25... check the other addresses for where to buy the gear online...

as for the speedometer. It could be a bad solder joint or a cracked board. In my case, it was one of the two electrolytic capacitors on the speedo board. I simply replaced them with similar ones from my junk box and the speedometer works fine again.

Reply to
Perry Noid