stalls, then whines

Hi, all! My Volvo is an '88 4 door; just bought it a couple of weeks ago. It has stalled twice, then restarts immediately (though the 2nd time took longer to restart than the first). Once it's ready to go (it's happened twice in underground parking garages; coincidence?), it gives a high pitched whine for a few seconds.

Fuel pump?

Thanks!!

Reply to
starchild

Possibly, what model is this?

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you! It's a 240 DL. Is this a major problem?

Reply to
starchild

Not necessarily, if you can tell where the whine is coming from that would be helpful. How much fuel was in the tank when the problem occurred?

Reply to
James Sweet

The whine seems to be coming from beneath the car, near the center...? It happened again this morning (started pretty quick). Half a tank of gas. It might have been low the previous two occurences. I'm getting worried.

Reply to
starchild

The whine is the main fuel pump, it may be that it's failing, it could also be the prepump in the tank is bad, that's what I'd check first.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! My boyfriend was finally in the car when it stalled yet again the other day (it's increasing in frequency). He said it's "definitely" the fuel pump. I guess this is something that worsens w/ time, so, better take her in asap. No road trips in the meantime, right? Thanks for the info! :)

Reply to
starchild

You might want to check all the electrical connections first. I had a problem with my 145 a few years ago which appeared to be the fuel pump, but turned out to be a corroded fuse. You may simply need to clean a connector. On the 240s, another frequent problem is the fuel pump relay.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thank you. I think it definitely has electrical issues. Only one headlight works (it's not a bulb problem) and neither tail brake lights (the one in the window works OK)! It's terrifying to drive at night! I don't think we should take it on an 8 hour road trip. What do you think? It stalled on a busy freeway again this morning. Fortunately it started back up in less than a minute, but stressful nonetheless.

Thanks for all your insight!!!!!

Reply to
starchild

You may need to replace the engine wiring harness; the mid-80s 240s used insulation that has crumbled over the years. That's likely to be causing problems in your '88. Replacement harnesses can be found for about $325 or so and can be swapped in a few hours by someone with a little experience working on cars.

I agree that any long trips aren't a good idea until some of the maintenance work is caught up.

That's what all of us are out here for.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston