steering rack boot for '91 240

This weekend I attempted to replace the tie rod ends and boots on my

1991 240. Perhaps foolishly I got my parts from an after market big box store (O'riley's, CarQuest, Autozone) since it was mid day Friday and had planned on doing this over the weekend when the Volvo parts place would be closed. In order to get the parts I needed I had to go to several stores since one had the inner tie rod, another the outer tie rod end and yet another for the boots.

When I went to replace the rubber boot I discovered that the new one was too short and that the one on the car was vented which my replacement was not. I've decided to just order the part online since it seems the guys at the parts store don't know what I need but I've run into this. The Volvo World site has useful info and prices but it says that my 240 came with one of 2 steering racks. It then tells me to check the trunk or door column for a sticker that will give me a code for the steering - gear type (2 if a CAM steering rack and a 3 if a ZF rack). All very useful but where the heck in the trunk is this tag. I've looked everywhere and the door post too and can't find anything that lists the steering gear. All I need to know is which boot to buy but am stymied by this.

Please help.

Denny

Reply to
Denny A

Richard W Langbauer

Open the trunk & look @ the inner upper edge there should be a white sticker with the information needed

Reply to
Glenn K

The IPD website

describes how to identify the rack by looking at the boots. One of them uses tapered boots, the other has boots with larger openings in the ends and rubber fittings around the tie rods that stick in the end of the boots.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Jon Robertson