Steering wheel vibratio

Hello,

At about 60mph my steering wheel starts to vibrate. It feels like some kind of sympathetic vibration since it does not show up at lower and higher speeds. All tires have been balanced, once in one shop and twice in another that specializes in on the vehicle wheel balancing. Rotors are new. This is driving me nuts. The car is 91 740 turbo wagon.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Maybe one of your tyres is slightly out of round, or eccentric. It can be perfectly balanced but still cause vibrations.

Try swapping each front wheel, in turn, with the spare - and see if it makes any difference.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

I'd check some steering joints to see if there is any play in them. Particularly the track rod inner or outer ends.

Jack the front wheels off the road (one at a time is OK) and have someone hold the steering wheel firmly. Now grasp the wheel at either side and try rocking it to see if there is any play in it. Do the same at top and bottom. There should be none.

If there is, have your assistant put the foot brake on and see if it goes away when you repeat the process. If this eliminates the play, it is probably the wheel bearing. If not it will be another steering joint and you will need to look behind the wheel to see which part is moving.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

I had exactly the same symptoms. It turned out to be a dmaged sidewall that caused a bump on the side of the tire. It could have lead to a blowout, if it weren't noticed in time.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

are all the weights still there? i have had them go flying off a number of times, especially the stick on ones that they like to use on mags. any rocks in the treads? try jacking the wheel you suspect up and spinning it, watch to see if it is round or if it has a thump in it, or if you have a bent rim. while you are at it you might slightly loosen a wheel bearing a little and spin it and see if it tends to swing back and forth, indicating that it is out of balance.

Phil

Reply to
mrhuntnpeck