Tyres on 97 S70

Currently have 4 fairly shot 205/50-16's on the above.

Has anyone got 205/55-16's on their S/V 70- wondering about rubbing issues (on the front mcPherson strut etc)

Reason being 50's are about £15 / corner more than 55's!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Bear in mind that you'll get an increase in gearing - with the associated speedometer and odometer errors - of about 3% if you do this. You'd have to come down to 185/55-16's to (more or less) restore the original gearing.

FWIW, some 70-series variants do have 17" wheels - so I doubt whether clearance is a problem.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Yes- but they have 40 and 45section tyres, so overall diameter is probably the same giveor take as a 16inch wheel with 50 section tyres..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Yes. I have 205/55-16 winter tyres on a 2000 S70 T5. No problem -- apart from the speedo difference (i.e., 3.27% - probably within the standard error rate of the speedo anyway).

puff

Reply to
puffdawg

Do they rub on the wheelarch liner or coil springs at all when on full lock?? I've looked on mine, and even on 50 profiles there isnt alot of room.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Not at all. I have driven four winters on 205/55's and I am sure there was no contact - well, until snow stuck to the wheelarch, of course, but you can't have sufficient gap to avoid that.

The hypothetical difference is 20 millimeters in diameter (611 vs.

631), that is 10 in radius. As one tends to drive slower in the winter, the tyres are probably inflated to the low end of the range, which may contract the effective diameter further, so you probably end up with not more than 5-6 millimeters (a fifth of an inch) of real radius growth.

puff

Reply to
puffdawg

I've noticed something similar but with 225/50 tyres as opposed to 205/55 and was thinking about the wider tyres (maybe then it'll stop the front end breaking away so easily! - mines a T5..) Anyone tried this at all???

Thanks!

A.

Reply to
AB