Bulbs Burning out SC-816

Hi;

The bulbs that light up the buttons on my SC-816 are slowly burning out one by one. Has anyone tried to replace these?? Are they socket type bulbs or LED's soldered right on to the circuit boards? Is this an easy task?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks; Steve-o

Reply to
Steve-o

Hello. If your radio is of the same design as the SC-802 or SC-805 then: The bulbs are easily replaced, so long as you are confident in partly dismantling your radio. Follow these simple steps!

  1. Remove any cassettes or CDs from the set.
  2. Remove radio from car, making sure you have the code ready for when you put it back in.
  3. Remove the 4 or 5 screws from around the front panel (One holds an earth tag If I recall correctly).
  4. Get an octopus (or lots of people with lots of hands) to help you prise all the plastic clips up while you pull the front panel free. There is a ribbon cable which connects the front panel, but you can leave that connected if you like. Just lay the panel to one side to work on it.
  5. Obtain some spare bulbs. The dealer may tell you that radio bulbs are not available. Just order some spares for your heated seat switches, as they are the same.
  6. Release the old bulbs with a small flat-blade screwdriver (they have slots in to allow you to turn them to release them).
  7. Remove the silicone bulb covers from the old bulbs, and slip them over the new bulbs.
  8. Re-fit the bulbs, turning them with the screwdriver to lock them as you go.
  9. Re-assemble front panel, making sure you don't get the cassette door trapped anywhere. At my first attempt, I had a cassette in the set, and I managed to re-fit the panel with the cassette door closed. The tape was trapped in there!!
  10. Re-fit your radio, type in the code, and enjoy another few years of illuminated operation.
  11. Replace the bulbs from your heated seat switches, and any others which you pinched because you couldn't be bothered to buy any!

Cheers. Joe.

Reply to
Joe landy

Where can I find spare bulbs online?