Under Passenger seat

What is the big valve under the car passenger side U.K

Reply to
no

I think it is the fuel pump. It seems to be squeaking.

Reply to
no

Sorry. Forgot to post, its a 1988 740 Estate

Reply to
no

ejector seat master blaster explosive pack ;-00

Reply to
Ivor Problem

I am looking for help not a poor comedian. You certainly have a problem

Reply to
no

If it's in a cage structure and pointing for and aft and it's cylindrical with pipes going into it as well as wires, and it's mounted on rubber, it's the main fuel pump. If it isn't, it is a bomb.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I, for one, thought it was funny.

Reply to
Ritchard Findlay

I wouldn't go quite so far as 'funny'.

Maybe 'quite amusing'.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

I understand the fuel pump can squeak or become noisy. I have found a posting on the net that says if the pump under the floor is noisy or squeaking its not that pump its the pump in the tank. Any advise on what action to take.

Reply to
no

You could temporarily take out the fuse for the in-tank pump and listen for squeaks or noises. Then replace the in-tank fuse and see if the noise changes. Generally speaking a noisy main pump can be caused by in-tank pump failure, which should promote the death of the in-tank pump fuse. However the main pump can fail even with a good in-tank pump. Investigate with this in mind. If you obtain both pumps from a scrapyard (vehicle dismantler) you can swap them over to see which one is causing the unusual noise. Check first that the rubber mountings for the main pump/filter tray are in good order and not causing the tray to contact the chassis, which will amplify the sound of the pump.

Cheers, Peter.

: > >I, for one, thought it was funny. : >

: > I wouldn't go quite so far as 'funny'. : >

: > Maybe 'quite amusing'. : >

: >

: > -- : >

: > Stewart Hargrave : >

: > I run on beans - laser beans : >

: >

: > For email, replace 'SpamOnlyToHere' with my name : :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The in tank pump connects to the fuel line through a short rubber Bellows. The bellows fails. When the fuel level is below the bellows air is mixed with the fuel. Whin this foamy fuel goes through the main pump it cavatates. The cavatation causes the main pump to fail.

Fill the tank and see if the noise gets better. If so buy, a new in-tank pump and filter sock. It's cheep about $25 US. You might as well replace it while it's out. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY DON"T MAKE SPARKS Don't blow your arse up! Next time the tank is about empty, take the in-tank pump out before it fails the $200 Pump. Use a short piece of fuel hose instead of the bellows it will last longer.

I did this at about 170,000 miles on the 240 I drove over 300,000 miles. I never did change the in tank pump.

Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running when traded Have

94 944 White 144,000 The New one 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi
Reply to
Vrparts

I have filled the tank and the noise is still the same. I have also taken out the fuse for the tank pump again the noise is the same. The assumption then would be its the main fuel pump, am I correct.

Reply to
no

Afterthought. If the fuel tank pump is gone removing the fuse would not make any difference to the noise if the fuel tank pump is gone. With or without the fuse the noise would be the same if the tank pump is gone.

Are the tanks on an estate the same as a saloon.

message

Reply to
no