Upgrading 850 Radio with SC 901 HU

I need help!!

Recently I decided to upgrade the radio in my '96 850 GLT. I got the SC 901 HU due to good reviews i read about it online. I also got a

400watt 4 way channel AMP. My challenege is how to hook the SC 901 to the amplifier. Can somebody who has done a similar upgrade help me?

Thank You!

Frederick

Reply to
Fred

Hi Frederick,

If you already have the radio hooked up to the car, the rest should be easy. If you don't, just give yourself a break, and get the wiring harness from a reputable source. This car may require a converter unit as well. It is still worth it. These cars can be nightmarish to re- wire. If you already have the radio installed and functioning properly, the rest really is pretty easy. There should be RCA type connectors on the rear panel of your stereo, These are line level outputs. These go to the amplifier's input section. DO NOT use the regular outputs. These are powered and if you use them they will most likely fry your amp, stereo, or speakers. On the wiring harness that plugs into your stereo, there is a remote wire. It is most likely blue. It should be extended, and connects to the remote terminal on your amp. It switches your amp on and off in unison with your stereo. The positive connection on the amp connects to the positive battery terminal, and the ground terminal is grounded to the body of the car. Speakers will probably need to be rewired to the amp outputs.

I hope that this helps out.

Good luck, E

Reply to
Zeke

Regarding the 901 HU do you know if it requires an amp hookup/ could it replace any of the SC Premium head units that came in those cars such as the SC-811 or SC-815. Does it require an external amp? I'd like to replace my SC 811 with a head unit with a CD The 901 has a 3 disk cartridge and from I understand is a good head unit as far as sound goes.

B. Franklin

Reply to
Bernie Franklin

The SC901 (and SC900) do not have an internal amp, except for the single channel unit that powers the center speaker. There are no RCA jacks on the rear, the outputs are contained in the larger diameter of the 2 DIN type plugs on the rear.

If you want to make a cable: Looking at the back of the head unit, and assuming that the "missing" pin is at 12 o'clock, then 2 o'clock is left front, 4 is right front, 6 is right rear, 8 is speaker common, 10 is left rear. The centre pin is the +12 V amp trigger. This is a standard plug, and is available from electronics supply stores.

Reply to
Mike F