V40 Buying Advice

After initially being interested in the V70 I've turned my attention to the V40 because it's smaller and sportier (I'm giving up my 86 240GL). Can anyone give me some buying advice for this model? What years are good/bad, etc? I found a 2000 with 87,000 for $8,900 or a 2001 with 63,000 for $10,800. They both have the standard equipment and I'm not looking for something beyond that. What do you all think of those prices?

Reply to
csonsini

I think that $8900 for a 2000 with 87K miles is high, while the other price seems fair for the 2001.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

The 2000 seems a bit high. Personally I would offer 10k even for the 2001.

2000: Average Trade-In Average Retail $8,125 $10,175 Mileage 86,000 miles

2001: Average Trade-In Average Retail $10,000 $12,150 Mileage 63,000 miles

Reply to
Brian V

wrote

I bought a 2000 V40 with 50K miles last year for about the same price, so for a year older and more miles, yours seems a little steep.

The car's been a good'un so far, btw. I repaired the tailgate latch (minor mechanical adjustment) when I got the car and I currently have an SRS warning that I should probably do something about some day, but otherwise, it's reliable, nimble, and gets around 27 MPG.

Things I wish I'd known: The Ford dealer that I purchased the car from had disconnected the battery or ran it down at some point while it was on his lot, resetting the radio security code. It was no problem getting the code from a Volvo dealer, but I would have made the seller do it if I'd known it was needed. The more serious problem has to do with the ignition key. I've spoken to the car's previous owner who insists that he gave the Ford dealer two sets of keys and fobs when he traded the V40 in on an Explorer. The Ford dealer could only find one set, and I didn't press the issue at the time of purchase. If I'd known replacements were only available from the Volvo dealer at $300 plus the hassle of a service appointment, I would have insisted that the Ford dealer give me two sets of keys or knock the replacement cost off the selling price. I tried to get the dealer to look for the missing key after the sale, but I got the distinct impression that they didn't give a damn, and I still only have one key.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler