Volvo 240 Air Conditioner Retrofit

Hi,

My air conditioner on my 87 Volvo 240 has stopped it's ability to keep the car cool, so I have just had it retrofitted with the R134A. I was warned that this does tend to leak gas. How long should this last before needing the gas refilled? I drive about 250kms per week mostly with the air conditioner on low.

Regards,

Han.

Reply to
han_chung

Don't know what to tell you about the leak warning. We had to replace our

760 compressor and had Volvo do the 134a retrofit nearly ten years ago, and it hasn't had to be recharged since. But since yours stopped cooling, and you didn't indicate a repair with the conversion, you must have a little leak (too small to prevent the conversion.)

Time will tell how significant your leak is, and if it gets worse. Next summer, if it doesn't cool well, time for service again. Should last all season, anyway. (And that should be pretty much independent of how much you use it, like a tire leak behaves.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It should last years if not decades. Did you have all the O-rings and rubber hoses replaced? If your system was dead before you had it converted it's because it leaked somewhere.

Reply to
James Sweet