91 Mustang LX (5.0) Air Conditioner Not Working

Help, my air conditioner is not operating normally. Here are the symptoms...

  1. Last Sunday 11 April, it worked intermittently (system would blow cold air for a while then it would warm up, then it would cool off again). I checked under the hood, and the compressor was running without cycling on & off. Also last summer, I had system checked out and it needed approximately one pound of Freon.

  1. Today (15 April) I tried running the AC again, but the system only blew ambient temperature air. I checked under the hood, this time the compressor was not running.

I'm thinking the system has a serious leak & is empty. Any AC smart guys have any Ideas or suggestions? I'm located in the Florida panhandle and summer is fast approaching. Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Reply to
sariwa1
** Help, my air conditioner is not operating normally. Here are the ** symptoms... ** ** 1. Last Sunday 11 April, it worked intermittently (system would blow cold ** air for a while then it would warm up, then it would cool off again). I ** checked under the hood, and the compressor was running without cycling on & ** off. Also last summer, I had system checked out and it needed approximately ** one pound of Freon. ** ** 2. Today (15 April) I tried running the AC again, but the system only blew ** ambient temperature air. I checked under the hood, this time the compressor ** was not running. ** ** I'm thinking the system has a serious leak & is empty. Any AC smart guys ** have any Ideas or suggestions? I'm located in the Florida panhandle and ** summer is fast approaching. Thanks in advance. ** ** Thomas **

You're probably short-cycling; that is, without enough refrigerant in the system, it cycles on/off and then eventually just off. If you're going through that much refrigerant, you probably have a leak in the system that needs to be repaired before refilling again. See a qualified A/C technician for help.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks JD, I suspected as much, I'll try and have it looked at very soon.

Thomas

Reply to
sariwa1