Volvo 740 - headliner

Ok, my headliner is sagging in the back. I do not want to replace the whole thing because the rest of the liner is fine, except for some staining. Can I just fix the sagging in the back with some adhesive? If so, how do I fix it and what adhesive should I use? In addition is there a way to dye the headliner or clean it, while it is still up there? Mine is very stained it looks like the previous owner threw their drink up there!

Reply to
austjeremy

An old story, to be sure. Adhesive won't do it, because the layer that is crumbling will continue to crumble. I tried it on a Dodge once....

Judicious use of straight pins, believe it or not, seems to be the best alternative to replacing the headliner. Replacement is also a notorious job - don't try it without consulting those who have (I have not.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You could try stapling it, it's only gonna get worse though, once the foam started to deteriorate on mine the rest let go fairly quickly.

Reply to
James Sweet

I bought a 1990 740 GL that had a large area over the (rear) passengers' heads pulled down.

After realizing that the deterioration of the foam precluded use of adhesive and also realizing the pain associated with replacing the headliner, I opted for the following:

I got some brass colored upholstery tacks. Not too long with large domed heads. (Depending on the length, you might have to snip a bit off. Even without a point, they'll stick in if you push them.)

Starting in front of the hanging part on material that remains attached, I pushed the tacks through the fabric and into the foam. This is to prevent future drop of the fabric.

Working toward the rear, push in tacks at regular intervals while carefully holding the fabric up.

By experience, you can decide the spacing. The ability of the tacks to remain stuck in the deteriorating foam is a little iffy, so it takes quite a few.

Put extra tacks along the rear window gasket. They seem to stick better in this area.

Finally tuck the fabric under the window gasket with a putty knife.

Ain't pretty but it works. Certainly can't see it from outside as you pass those SUV's and shiny cars with $$$car payments attached.

Caveat: I have not driven at moderate speed with all the windows open so I can't predict what will happen. I do suspect it will hold.

jimB

Yankee Creedo:

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

-------------------------------------------- JimB

-------------------------------------------- my SPAM defense: Replace all the X's in email address with M

Reply to
jimb

zencraps

Better still use the headlining complete from a 900 series equivalent model.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

That works on a wagon, as I recall the rear window is positioned slightly differently on a 940 sedan though but I could be wrong.

Reply to
James Sweet

Replace it as the foam is history ,here it cost me $AU 275.00 to replace it completely which is the only way .The foam crumbles and the lining lets go as its attached to the foam .

Reply to
John Robertson

The bodyshape should be exactly the same. Source is Green Book dealing with bodywork (metal and glass).

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I am looking for anyone who can physically locate the reverse switch (back up light switch) on a 4 speed manual transmission (5 speed push button)

I have a replacement switch but can not find the location on the transmission. do you service from the top or the bottom?

Thank you Ken

Reply to
KENNETH FOX

Have you tried the rear top left of the box?

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

On the top of the transmission cover there a 2 switches, one accessible from each side. One has 2 wires, that's for your reverse lights. The one with one wire is the 4th gear switch, so the overdrive will only work in 4th gear. They're easier to access if you remove the transmission cross member and allow the transmission to sag down a little. I think the reverse light switch is on the left side.

Reply to
Mike F