Volvo 850 diesel 20 minute no restart window?

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes...

I have a 1996 Volvo 850 Diesel and when the hot weather comes round have a recurrent problem starting. When the engine is cold it starts no

problem and when the engine has been off for up to 5 mins it starts again without too much trouble. However, when the temperature is arround 21 deg C and the car is left for 20 mins or so after being driven it refuses to start - the battery has plenty of charge and spins

the starter motor but the engine refuses to fire.

Leaving the car for another 30mins or so, and it will start up again.

It only does this when summer comes round and it actually starts better

the colder the weather; so presumable there is some physics explanation

for this that I'd like to find out. Any ideas?

I don't know that much about engines, but it has had a new battery and volvo UK are less than helpful, so thought I ask here.

Any clues what to look for when trying to trace the problem? The car is

fine when running and as it has 140,000 miles on the clock is really only getting broken in as a diesel so would be a shame to not find the reason for this niggling wee problem.

Thank in advance,

P.

Reply to
mr_peter_stevenson

Crank angle sensor going open circuit when very hot- its ontop of the bell housing under the aircleaner (- position may be slightly different in the TDI, but in that area anyway).

When it next refuses to restart, spray some carb or brake cleaner on then sensor to cool it off If the car immediately re-starts fine, you have found the problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Mark,

Thanks for info. I'm in the west of scotland, so edinburgh is not too far to travel and as such a contact might be handy.

I'm lucky enough to know a good independant mechanic and engineer (as opposed to a main agent "board swapper") but he doesn't have a lot of time for investigation of intermittent problems, and as usually happens with these things, it starts fine with him!

I will suggest both of the temp sensor and angle crank sensor as possibles, and as the car is due for it's MOT soon, would be willing so spend a couple of quid getting these sensors replaced to see what happens.

Thanks again,

P.

Reply to
mr_peter_stevenson