Should I run synthetic oil in my '92 240?

I have been pondering switching it over. It has 145K miles on it, and I bought it at 65K miles. Good car. I change the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles. It uses a half-quart or so between changes, though I did just have the front seal done with the timing belt, so that may go down.

Would switching to something like Mobil One do any good? Any harm? I'd probably extend the service interval out to 5K miles to offset the cost. I've been told that's fine with sythetic oil. Thoughts...?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

I run synthetic in my turbos, but the N/A cars get ordinary oil, there's simply no significant benefit of using synthetic in them, the engines will already last until the rest of the car crumbles so long as you keep up reasonable maintenance. 5k oil changes are fine with normal oil if you use a quality filter and do a lot of highway driving.

Reply to
James Sweet

This question generates so much "religious" discussion that my best answer is "I changed to synthetic to keep the crankcase ventilation and intake system deposits down, but to each their own."

Mike ('85 765T, 236K miles)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Jeff Olsen" skrev i meddelandet news:BED15255.ED7A% snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

I use full syntetic oil in my cars, no one is turbo. I do not buy anything as expensive as Mobile one. My Volvos are:

140 -71, 480 000 km, not in use 740 -85, 480 000 km, full synt since new V70 -00, 190 000 km.

One reason full synt here in Sweden is the winter, big difference when temperture goes down to -25 C.

Reply to
Anders Wiklund

With regular oil changes (using dino oil) and maintenance (coolant flush once a year or once in two years), these engines have been known to be good for well over 200,000 miles. There are several examples of red-block engines going over 300,000 miles. These engines are basically bullet-proof, and the year of your car indicates it has the last version of the B230 that Volvo made.

My suggestion would be to continue using dino oil, and use the money you save to keep the rest of the car in good repair.

I personally think that synthetic oil is of greater value in the newer allow engines.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

in article VVUqe.140054$ snipped-for-privacy@newsc.telia.net, Anders Wiklund at snipped-for-privacy@telia.com wrote on 6/12/05 4:22 AM:

Yes, I switched my Jeep to synthetic for just that reason: it gets really, really cold up where we hunt elk in October/November, and it just killed me to think of how thick my oil must be when I was starting the thing up one morning at 4:30 am at -22 degrees F!

I am getting mixed reports on the benefit of switching the Volvo, though. I have a case of dinosaur oil in the shop; that'll last me a couple more changes...

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

I use Red Line 10W30 Synthetic in my 81 245. When I switched to synthetic it developed a couple leaks, I fixed them and it runs better than ever now. Acceleration is better, there is less engine noise and mileage is better by more than 10%. Red Line is available from IPD. The downside is the $7.95/Quart price.

Reply to
Spooky Mulder

It's available at a local autoparts store here called B&B too, cheaper but still not cheap.

Reply to
James Sweet