volvo 850 engine data

Hi all,

I am a former 940 owner, now I'm looking for a new 850 sedan and i ran across some engine data on wikipedia (

There it says that the B5204 outputs its max power @6500 rpm. I am wondering, isn't that a bit too much RPM?

Next, can anyone tell me how much would the fuel consumption be for this engine? The 940 i owned was wonderful, but the fuel consumption was really an issue (I could at the most economic do 7.5km per liter, well it was LPG, but still a lot by me).

TIA,

Valerio

Reply to
Valerio M

I've never had any problems winding my 20 year old 740T to the redline from time to time, it's silky smooth. I figure with 290K mi on it everything is nicely broken in :)

Reply to
James Sweet

Baz, Indeed. I was just wondering how come it outputs its max power at such high rpm. I think (but i might recall wrong) that for the 940, it was around 5400 rpm.

...And thanks for the fuel consumption data!!!

Merry Christmas to all!

Valerio

Reply to
Valerio M

It's due to many factors, the 8 valve 4 cylinders are quite torquey at the low end of the RPM band, the newer 5 cylinder engines are more powerful in general, especially the 20 valve versions peak at a rather high RPM.

Reply to
James Sweet