1997 VOLVO 850 AWD Light Turbo; Engine type?

I'm getting contradictory answers to this question. What is the engine type (B...T) and the engine capacity (2.3L, 2.4L, 2.5L)? The car is a 1997 Volvo AWD; Light Turbo; Manual Transmission wagon.

Thank you. Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

You need to "decode" your car's VIN (17 digits) which will tell you what engine is fitted to your car. All the best, Peter.

I'm getting contradictory answers to this question. What is the engine type (B...T) and the engine capacity (2.3L, 2.4L, 2.5L)? The car is a 1997 Volvo AWD; Light Turbo; Manual Transmission wagon.

Thank you. Andy I.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Thank you Peter, but how do I decode the VIN?? The VIN is "YV1LW5663V2338275".

Andy I.

2.5L)? : The car is a 1997 Volvo AWD; Light Turbo; Manual Transmission wagon. : : Thank you. : Andy I. :
Reply to
Andy

Enter the VIN into decoders such as:

Roger Mills

Thank you for your interest Roger. I entered the VIN into several decoders and got conflicting results. They vary between 2.4 L and 2.5L for exactly the same (double-checked!) VIN. So I'm no further forward :-(

Reply to
Andy

In the UK, each car has a registration document which contains a reasonably full spec of the car. Do you have something similar in Canada?

Or have you asked a Volvo dealer? They should be able to locate it on their database.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No Roger. We don't have such a document here in BC, Canada. Is this something new in the UK? I don't rememember having one for the Jowet Bradford I was driving around Elgin, Morayshire in the

1950's.................. but then maybe I don't remember too much these days anyway :-)

Re asking the dealer, I did check with their parts manager but he used the same VIN and got "2.5L".

Thanks again. Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

You would have had a 'logbook' (folded green card) containing much the same information in the 1950's. This has since been replaced by a computer-generated Registration Certificate - known as a V5C.

Just looking at mine for my 2007 V70, and it's not too precise about engine type. It says it's a "DIESEL CAR", that the cylinder capacity is

2400CC, and it quotes the engine number.

I would have thought that a Volvo dealer could identify the exact engine type from the engine number.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That term "logbook" seems to ring a bell, Roger.

Re "engine number"............... Is that engraved on the engine block? If so where is it located. (I don't have the car in question here at the moment.)

Slainte mhath! Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

I don't know for sure about the 850, but according to my Haynes manual for the S/V70 (same body shape) it's on the top of the engine on the left hand side (when standing in front of the car facing the engine compartment.)

The examples shown look as if engine type is there, too. [One is B5254S

1234567 and the other is D5252T 1J123456]

On my later [S80 platform - not the latest shape] V70, the engine number and type is on a paper barcode label stuck onto the pulley cover at the front of the engine. I would have hoped that there would be something more permanent than that - like a metal plate with the number stamped on it - but if there is, I can't see it!

As a matter of interest, what hangs on identifying the engine type correctly? Will anyone die if you get it wrong?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Andy,

VIDAS (Volvo Diagnostic & Information Service) shows your VIN belongs to a

1997 850, engine B5254T, manual transmission M58. Website "precisionintl..com" shows your engine is 2434.78cc.

hope that helps

robertjames

Reply to
Bob Furlonger

Thank you Roger. I don't recall seeing it on top of the engine but I'll have a look for that paper label if it hasn't blown away in 16 years.......... No one will die if I get it wrong, but the engine might! (I'm looking for a head gasket.)

Andy I.

Thank you too Robert. That info seem smore precise. I think I'll go with that and check Roger's idea too.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

NAPA Prol- VIN: YV1LW5663V2338275

-- Catalogue Information

- Vehicle Type: Automobile/Light Trucks

- Year: 1997

- Make: Volvo

- Model: 850

- Engine: 2.4 L 2435 CC L5 DOHC 20 Valve

-- Vehicle Information from Decoder

- Country: SWEDEN

- Make: Volvo

- Vehicle Type: Passenger Car

- Model: 850 Series

- Engine Type: L5, 2.4L (2435 cc); DOHC 20V; Turbo

- Year: 1997

- Assy. Plant: Ghent, Belgium

- Production ID: 338275

- Body Type: 4 Door Wagon

- Trim Level: GLT

- Drive Line Type: FWD

- Emissions Code:

- Vehicle Class: Mid-size Car

- Restraint System: Dual Air Bag

- Fuel Type: Gasoline

- Manufacturer: Volvo Car Corporation

- Engine Code: 56

Worldpacs's catalog says pretty much the same thing, adding the B5254T part.

Reply to
Sanity Clause

Wow! Thanks "Sanity"! I think I get the message. BTW, the car isn't a "GLT". Where the GLT badge would be at the back on the hatch it has "ATV". I believe few of these were built; the combination of light turbo, all wheel drive and manual transmission wagon were quite rare.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy