Volvo cluster wiring

I was given an '87 240DL. The odometer was not working. Replaced gears. Still not working. Replaced cluster after replacing gears in replacement. Still not working. At this point, I want to make sure the cluster is correctly connected. The round connector and the half round connector are no brainers - as is the 3 wire connector that goes to the speedometer. I understand the red-white wire goes to the tach (which I don't have). The red-orange wire seems to go to the small connector at the corner of the cluster. The orange wire fits on one of the 2 connected male spade connectors on near the speedometer. Is this all correct? I don't want to fry another unit by miswiring it - assuming I fried the others.

Thanks, Terry

Reply to
Son_Worshipper

Offhand I don't recall an orange wire, although it may be speed signal output for the upshift indicator control unit if the car has a manual transmission, if so then the position you used is correct. Usually the two male spade connectors supply the speed signal for the cruise control, they are either blue and gray or blue and yellow. Power to the cluster is through the blue red wire on the three position plug on the back of the speedo head. Ground is a black wire from one of the multi position blugs that goes back into the harness and connects to a screw on the left side of the steering column. You can put an ac voltmeter across the other two wires in the three prong plug and with a rear wheel off the ground check for a rising voltage with an increase in speed to check the speed signal from the differential. Also check the wiring at the speed sensor for broken strand indide the insulation.

Bob

Reply to
User

Reply to