Stereo in Older Volvo's

I have a 1980 240 DL and I was looking around to buy a receiver for it with maybe a tape deck, but I searched ebay and google/froogle and found nothing at all. Are they fairly reliable and just hard to find or did they all die out early? Anyone know of one I could purchase?

Reply to
Mwveenhu

Have you tried calling Crutchfield at 888-955-6000 ? They probably know more about what fits what than any other company around.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Look out for radio/tape players of the following types which are original fit for 240s. CR-4020, CR-4021, CR-4023, CR-4024, CR-4050, CR-4051 and CR-4053. The last three feature an AVI decoder for German traffic information.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Those OEM units are pretty medicre. When I was looking for a replacement for the failing OEM unit in our 240, I used Crutchfield.com, because they provide a wiring adapter (which you still have to splice on yourself). I was looking for units that weren't made in China or Malaysia, because of the awful working and environmental conditions there. I found two models: one from an established European brand (Kenwood?) that was made in Indonesia (iffy, for me) that looked right at home in a 240, and a Sony "Explod" AM/FM /Cassette / XM-ready unit that was made in Thailand. That one is a bit garish, but Thailand has actual unions, and it works just fine, even with the OEM speakers. It even has a remote control, for some reason...

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

I would avoid the OEM equipment.

I have used Clarion decks to good effect, usually with Infinity speakers.

A good stereo shop can easily provide you with whatever hardware and odd bits you may need to DIY: it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
zencraps

The original ones were junk, most of them are probably in the landfill now. Aftermarket units are readily available which are far superior, mounting kits are made for both the lower and upper dash position.

Reply to
James Sweet

Both Sony and Kenwood are Japanese brands. The Kenwood you are thinking of makes dishwashers and kitchen electronic equipment. For what most people want and need OEM is plenty good enough. Later 200s, 700s and 900/90s all use Alpine audio equipment, Alpine being one of the European respected names.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

You miss the point. The OEM stereos may have been adequate when new, but they don't wear well, so any used ones are likely to be junk, and if you're going to buy a new stereo, the Japanese brands have more features and, for brands like Sony at least, longer lifespans. The only conceivable reason to buy an OEM model is if you want a box-stock

240.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Perhaps that is what the enquirer really wants Michael.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

He wrote that he wants a stereo which is "original *fit*" (emphasis added). I see nothing in the original message to indicate he wants to get an actual OEM unit, just one that will easily replace it.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Surely Original Fit and OEM are synonimous (the same or similar meaning)? Just my pedantic English pomposity (LOL), Michael. Part of my Lecturer era, a few years ago, was to make sure that my students understood what they said. The problem is the slight transliteration that occurs when words cross the pond.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

"OEM" Means the original equipment. "Original fit" means that no alterations are needed to make a part fit. My Sony "Explod" is an 'OF' unit (after the Crutchfield wiring harness was added), but definitely not OEM.

Reply to
mj

Thanks to all of you for your help and in fact I thought about getting that sony Xplod he is talking about (the very same one actually) and I think I'll probably have it professionally installed since I don't really want to do it myself. I already purchased a stereo install kit for the radio and i'm getting ready to buy the receiver. Michael, what other preparations did you have to make before installing the radio I mean is there anything else I need to buy for an installer to put it in?

Thanks much, Mischa

mjc13 wrote:

Reply to
Mwveenhu

The short answer is "no".

Crutchfield.com sent me a wiring harness adapter and faceplate with the stereo. I had to splice the harness to the stereo's wires with the crimp connectors they provided, which I did separately a few days before

- it took about half an hour. The actual installation just required that the stereo be attached to the new faceplate, the old stereo be removed, and the new one installed. It was just one plug and one (I think) screw for the faceplate adapter (too easy to steal!). The only hard part was reaching waaay down in the dash innards to unplug the old unit and then plug in the new one. I found I could only get one arm in there, so I had to do it with one hand. I was happy to discover, however, that what I thought was bad speaker wiring was actually just the old stereo not functioning properly - the Sony plays through both of the tiny OEM speakers 100% of the time, instead of the old one, which kind of preferred playing through just the right speaker - or not at all. It sounds better than I'd expected.

Reply to
mj

Thanks for the Crutchfield referral. I went on their website and was amazed at how easy and laid out it was. I called their 1-800 number and within a minute was connected with a representative who helped me find the Xplod stereo and a pair of pioneer speakers for the Volvo. All for about 150 bucks. Another thing. I want to put a pair of speakers in the rear doors as well, but there were none in my Volvo and there isn't a hole in the door or anything. Would it be fairly easy to cut out a whole and put a pair back there?

Thanks Much, Mischa

Reply to
Mwveenhu

I honestly don't know. I forgot to mention that when I spliced in the wiring adapter, I added four labelled 'pigtails' for rear speakers. I just left them inside the bottom of the dash, but maybe the next owner will use them. I had considered adding a rear speaker enclosure on the back package shelf, or maybe rear speakers in the shelf. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help you with the door idea. My guess is that you'd need to go with surface mount speakers, but that's just a guess...

Reply to
mj

Yep. I finished installing the stereo for the most part yesterday. I'm just waiting on an install kit that I purchased on eBay. I used rear speakers as well and found that it was incredibly easy to find a hole behind the door panel where I could install speakers. I just cut a 4" hole for the speaker with a saber saw and it was perfect. It's really nice.

mjc13 wrote:

Reply to
Mwveenhu