Volvo Newcomers Notice Gas Smell

My mom and I have "given" our '91 740 wagon to my husband and he mentioned that he's been noticing the smell of gas when he drives it that's sometimes quite strong. My mom confirmed that she noticed it when she drove it but not very strong so apparently it has gotten worse. In case it matters, the car is now driven about an hour almost every day (1/2 hour to work and 1/2 hour back home). What are the possible causes of the gas smell? Any ideas on how to fix whatever is wrong? For all I know this could be dangerous. Thanks for any answers.

Sherry

Reply to
PaNjDeFemale

Could be a leak in the gas line somewhere. If fumes build up, it is dangerous.

If it only happens right after the gas tank is filled, it might just be from overfilling the tank.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Could be a fuel leak under the hood; open the hood, start the car, and inspect the fuel lines, fittings, around the injectors and pressure regulator. Also look for indications that something has been dripping on the engine and washing away the usual grime.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Sunroof open or closed?

Leaking injector seals will cause a gas smell in the cabin of 700s. How's your mileage? How is the car running?

--

-don

'81 242t '89 744ti

Reply to
don hodgdon

I had the same problem, the problem was traced to a corroded gas line from the fuel sending unit in the tank. I have been told it is quite common. Thje replacement was $425.00 CDN from Volvo and it is quite simple to change.

Zyggy

89 GL Wagon

Reply to
R Zych

Don, I will reply directly to your post since you have questions. When car was purchased in Feb. it had about 83,000 miles so there wouldn't be extremely more than that now although I can't give you a close estimate -- have to ask husband that one. Car apparently running great or husband would be complaining. :) As for sunroof I will have to ask him about that one too, as although it's chilly most days now, my husband tends to feel the cold very little. Will try to get back to you soon and hope you can more specifically answer once you have all the answers from me. Thanks!

Sherry

Reply to
PaNjDeFemale

common. Thje

sometimes

what do you mean by "gas" - petrol? If it is sulphurous in type then it might be a faulty catalytic converter in which case a 3 hour drive hard - might help.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

I have no idea if this applies to the 700 series as well.

I have an 83 240 wagon and I noticed gas smell in the cabin, if the tank was more than half filled. There was no smell in the engine compartment and the car was running fine. After a thorough inspection, I found out I pulled out of place the overfill line of the tank that goes throught the tool compartment in the right bottom part of the trunk. The line was spilling in the trunk, leaving a little paddle of gas on the bottom, instead of outside right behind the weel. It took me two seconds to fix it and the smell was gone.

Again, I am not sure if this applies, but if it is the case, it might save a lot of time and money.

Hope this helps,

Marco.

Reply to
Marco Rolandi

I, owner of an 93' 240 wagon with 140k miles, smell this gas smell too. I'm not sure what correllation it has to the amount of gas in the tank, but I think its only when I get in the car, from it sitting overnight. The smell doesnt get thicker as I drive more, and I dont notice it after the first few huffs ;)

So, does he smell it when he just enters the car, and does it strengethen as he drives?

-bk

Reply to
briankeys

When you smell gas you should stop the car shut it off and look under the hood. It can start a fire. Look around each injector for seepage. Look at all of the fuel lines. Look under the car for a puddle or dripping. If possible, uncover the tube between the gas cap and the fuel line from the inside and see if there is any leakage around this area. If any leaks are found, fix before starting the car. If not, then drive to your dealer. You probably just need the charcoal cylinder replaced. If is on the vent for the gas tank to prevent fuel fumes from coming into the car.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning