900 SE Turbo 1996 , on "Check Engine" light and engine temperature

A used 1996 900 2.0 Turbo AT recently landed in my hands. Not really brand new, and rather over 200 000 km already done.

Briefly the "Check Engine" light came on. Having googled through this group I pointed a handful of possible causes. Another thing I noticed is that the engine temperature gauge does not stick to the half-way point of the scale even after a long drive but more like one quarter down from it. (We've had temperatures just above or below freezing here). Should it normally heat up to the mid-point or is this a feature more than a sign of malfunction. My best guess is a faulty thermostate, which would in turn explain the "Chek Engine" light? Am I on the right track?

S.

-- Deja. Before you buy.

Reply to
Simo

Temp needle should point directly at 9 o'clock once warmed up. Modest fluctuations up or down are masked by the instrument computer, so in normal driving it should never move. The range of change that triggers needle movement can be set by the Tech-2 scanner. Sounds like a bad t-stat, and that definitely could cause the CEL you saw.

Reply to
Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I'll have it checked.

By the way which fuse should I take off for a moment should I want to try and reset the "Check Engine " light? I know that having the battery disconnected does the job but maybe I'd prefer the fuse.

Reply to
Simo

Fix the condition and the light will reset itself after a few starts.

Reply to
Retroed Bob