Volvo S80 D5 Bulbs

Parking light Failure warning on dash. All 8 bulbs replaced four at back and two side marker and front. All replaced with correct wattage except RH Side marker which is 5W not 3W

Would this cause the failure not to extinguish?

TIA Dave

Reply to
David

David,

If the sensor is anything like the one on the 740, and using a sort of reed relay, then the 144mA current difference between left and right lighting circuits could certainly unbalance the relay. You could experiment, and remove both LH and RH side marker bulbs, this ought to rebalance the lighting circuits and prove the point :)

Ken Phillips

Reply to
Ken Phillips

All bulbs now replaced as should be and the dashboard light is still flashing!

Dave

Reply to
David

had the vere same thing on my V70

Replaced the parking lights with LED ones. Went back to Normal 5 watt ones. AND reseated all the other bulbs. Somehowe that did the trick I also did this with the lights ON. I'm an electrical (audio) engineer, but i've got reaaly no idee as to why this happens. Perhaps if i was a Lampie (lighting engineer).... :-)

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

I am at the tearing hair out stage. Re-seated all the bulbs and tried again today. No change!

Currently I have the battery disconnected and will try again tomorrow!

I wouldn't care but I am a rocket scientist. Well my first degree is in Aerospace ;-)

Dave

Reply to
David

Well, I'm a "Lampie" -- lighting engineer -- and I don't know what the problem is either. Yes, even lamps marked the same could draw uneven power; but that's not likely especially if they're new. My Volvos over the years have periodically flashed the bulb fail light. Sometimes it's continuous; sometimes it blinks. But the problem has always been temporary unless a lamp has actually failed. I've marked it up to the reed relays being sensitive.

Give it a few days more. Let the road bumps and temperature changes have their way and see what happens.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

have you looked @ the relay. they are rarely trouble, but ... you can also compare the left & right circuits @ this location.

when the going gets weird, the weird get ...?

Reply to
edasduke

It looks like all bulbs are not made equal!

Local garage (non Volvo) put the car on his computer for me. Found the 3W bulbs were drawing more current than they should.

Like Hens teeth round here so have ordered a box off the Internet!

Dave

Reply to
David

that would mean that they are infact not 3Watt. the bulbs in my V70 are 5Watt, checked today b4 buying a spare set

also found the 21 watt double brake lights with the unequal pins and som 10watt tail light as well a the H7's

Philips should have them.

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

Correct but they are marked as such.

Dave

Reply to
David

Are all the bulbs the same age and value as different/older /brand/ bulbs mess with the system ? They may have the same wattage but the values vary .

Reply to
jrobertson