What would pop the caps off the battery?

My '92 240 wagon has been running well and I've been driving it all day. However, when I just went to move it into my parking spot from the street, there was a bang.

Opening the hood, the caps were blown off the battery and while there is some power - the locks and the dome light work - there is no response from the starter to the ignition key. As well, only a few of the warning lamps come on when the key is turned, instead of all of them. The fuses are intact.

Guess I'm calling the garage first thing and then a towtruck, but would anyone have an idea of what's happened?

thanks.. Patrick Keenan

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

Overcharging. If the voltage regulator fails and the charging system puts too much power into the battery, it can boil the electrolyte and pop the caps off. You need to fix the charging system and replace the battery.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks to all for the hints. Towtruck's on its way, and I'm glad to know that this electrical problem likely isn't terminal (so to speak).

Patrick Keenan

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

And it seems that the voltage regulator had failed and so over 16 volts was present. New battery, rebuilt alternator, problem is solved.

Thanks again Patrick Keenan

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

Maybe it's a Volvo thing ;-)

My old 145 did that twice, but each time the battery actually blew up. The first time it was on a cold morning, the second time it was 122 degrees in the shade and the car was parked in the sun. Both times I hit the starter and heard a POP. The mist coming from under the hood told me what had happened. The hydrogen that is produced in normal charging had built up and something in the starting process set it off. A nice chemistry demonstration, but not helpful in getting anywhere.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee