Who makes Volvo's Rotors and Brake Pads?

Does anyone know who makes Volvo's Rotors and Brake Pads?

I have a 2000 S80 T6 and can't see paying the sky high prices the dealer wants for ones that come in a Volvo box, if they're actually the same exact ones that could be purchased cheaper elsewhere. Thank You!

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro Jackson

Not sure who the OEM is for the 2000 S80s, but you can hardly go wrong with either Brembo or ATE [both were OEM on older Volvos]

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

How much is the dealer charging you. I just bought pads from my dealer for my 98 xc and there not expensive at all. About $40 How many miles on a 2000 that you need rotors already? Mine are looking very rough.

Reply to
Ourfamily

Dealer quoted me $114.00 for each front rotor ($228.00 total). This is for Rotors only, no labor. Front pads were $82.00...again no labor. Prices don't include tax.

My S80 T-6 has 44000 miles and they're not quite ready to be replaced yet. Probably around 50,000 and they'll be ready. I do a lot of stop and go on the freeway here in Southern California.

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro Jackson

I think ATE make the brake components on the S80.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Dear Volvo friends,

Changing the front rotors and brake pads cost here in the Netherlands $ 405 labor and tax included for a V70-2000, this is a fixed price.

Robert.

"Jethro Jackson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Robert J. Veldkamp

"Jethro Jackson" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Recommend these

Have put them on my s80 2,9 front wheels. half price of volvo original and better brake performance. Less dust on the rims too. Johan Stockholm Sweden

Reply to
JohanE

That doesn't seem like a lot. Have you held the rotors in your hand? They are very nice rotors. I guess they should be to stop a 3600 lb. car from 155 mph with so much confidence. You cannot expect the rotors from such a high-performance car to cost the same as a Camry!

Two things that can make your brakes last a lot longer.

1) Anticipate slowdowns ahead so you don't accelerate to such a high speed to begin with. More coasting saves gas and brakes. 2) Don't keep a messy car/trunk filled with all kinds of emergency junk. The extra weight really impacts brake life and economy in stop and go traffic.
Reply to
Spanky

Jethro:

I don't think it is necessarily true that the Volvo OEM parts cost more; it is possible that the dealer markup is more than an independent shop would charge.

When I replaced the front rotors and pads on my 1997 960 sedan (at

78,000 miles), my shop recommended OEM Volvo parts and ordered them direct from a distributor. My cost was $93 for each rotor and $68 for the pads.

I don't use dealers' shops once my cars are out of warrantee.

Jim

Reply to
ricochet rabbit

is your price include the labour charge?

ricochet, rabbit ¼g¤J¡G

Reply to
TWC

No, the labor charge was $195. All figures are in $US.

Reply to
ricochet rabbit

I got a pair of Mintex pads and love them! IPD sells them, however I used Goggle and found them for $29 plus $6 for shipping. I believe that the company that supplies you pads would have rotors too. My Mintex pads have

6k on them and still have over 12mm thickness. The wheels have less dust than the rear wheels. Life is good.

Reply to
Ray

A store nearby me here in Norway, claims to sell original parts only, have listed Brembo rotors on all Volvos I've looked up in their catalogue (including S80 T-6).

ATE is probably a good choice, but I would not recommend buying to cheap brake rotors. Some of them have a tendency to overheat and cause vibrations, and thereby cause more damage to it self and pads.

Hope you find a suiting and reasonable solution.

Leiv Magne Faane, Norway

Reply to
Leiv Magne Faane