=?windows-1252?Q?=93Howling=94_noise_in_1990_740GLE_Wa?= =?windows-1252?Q?gon?=

Hi all,

Situation ? 1990 740 GLE Wagon with a B234F engine. It has about 116,000 miles on it and, according to the records of the previous owner, the timing belt was changed about 10,000 mi ago. We?ve had it almost a year and it runs like a champ.

One curious noise, though not too bothersom, and it?s always been there.

When at highway speeds there is a sort of low howling noise that is present when you either press on the accelerator or let off on it. By that I mean, that it disappears if you hold the accelerator in a neutral, ?no load?, condition. Could it be coming from the differential ? The fluid levels have all been checked recently.

Thanks much,

Perk (:>)

Reply to
Perk

Have the trailing arm bushings checked. They can get worn out, allowing the rear end to 'wander' forward and back, and make the driveline - especially the driveshaft carrier bearing - complain. This produces exactly the symptoms you describe.

Reply to
mjc1

On a 240 you need a special tool. I built mine from plans I found online but then having access to a machine shop helped tremendously, still a handy person with a bench grinder and power drill could duplicate it with patience. The other option is to buy the $180 tool or have a shop do those bushings.

Reply to
James Sweet

how difficult is it to replace those bushings? I have much the same symptoms in my '89 240 wagon, and with the age and milage, wouldn't be surprised if I need to do the same... easy enough for a shade tree mechanic? or do I need special tools, expertise?...

probably due to replace ALL the rubber components in the suspension, front and back...

Reply to
Perry Noid

IIRC, you need to buy or improvise a tool to press the bushings in and out. We had a shop do it. I don't remember the cost, but most 240 repairs seem to cost about $300. ;-)

Reply to
mjc1