oil in my distibutor cap?!

Hi again! Still trying to work the bugs out of my '89 Sentra 1.6 ltr. with 5 speed manual, A/C and Throttle body fuel injection. 88,850 miles!

Engine cuts out (no spark I think) when the accelerator is pressed hard under load, say going up a hill or trying to pass. I hear & smell the gas going in but the engine cuts out beyond half pedal travel and returns to normal (with some sputtering) when I ease up. Does this everytime.

I had been concentrating on the fuel & vacuum system, not to mention timing and plugs, but I got curious about the crank angle sensor and distibutor itself. When I removed the cap, the was a small amount of oil IN THE DISTRIBUTOR cap! Lucklily I had a used distributor unit, unbolted the old one and put the replacement one on and cleaned up the cap. (No error codes on the computer by the way!)

The car ran like a champ ... for a while then started doing exactly the same thing as above ... cutting out under load. Would it be reasonable to assume the second (uesd) distributor is bad too, allowing oil in to the crank angle sensor? Was this a common problem with the 88 - 90 Sentras? Could there be a root problem causing the distibutors to go bad?

I should add that I have to other "issues" at present with the car: A) The fuel pressure is too high, around 45 PSI according to the home-made guage I have installed at input side of the fairly new (34 months and

3000 miles) fuel pressure regulator. AND B) the timimg may be off due to broken timing chain tensioner and / or timing chain jumped one tooth. These things may or may not be related to the above problem(s).

Anyone who's had similiar trouble and found solutions - thank you for your help on this one!

- Ben

Reply to
Ben

I had been concentrating on the fuel & vacuum system, not to mention

The distributer shafts are driven by the oil pump in most cars. There should be a ring seal on the distributer shaft. It's probably worn and allowing the oil to get into the distributer.

Reply to
Willshak

This oil in distributor is a classic problem on the 93-97 Altima, and I would assume, the same asyou have, that the OP's 89 Sentra is having that problem.

On the 93 to 97 Altima, however, the distributor is driven by the exhaust cam. Fixing the issue meant replacing the entire distributor. Cap, rotor AND the housing of the distributor.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Could it be an electrical problem caused my the engine movement? Like a ground that loses conductivity when the engine tilts under load?

Does it happen when racing the engine with no load, i.e in neutral?

I do not think that the distributor would behave too differently when at partial or full load.

What did you move, touch or disturbed while replacing the distributor? It could be something lose or defective in the vecinity of the distributor.

Good luck

Ben wrote:

Reply to
AS

Thank you, can I just replace the seal or do I have to get a new distributor too?

- Ben Willshak wrote:

Reply to
Ben