XC90 V8 coming.........

Why is it as soon as you buy a new car, they bring out a better version before the new car smell has had the chance to loose it's intensity?

I am the proud owner of a three month old T5 XC90 and now Volvo say a V8 super dooper model is going to be released this year!

Oh well, I wont be going to the local Volvo dealership to see it, because I know my next call will be to the local bank manager.

Happy days!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Rayner

..... Who's V8 engine are they using?

If it's a Ford V8, are Ford motors any good? ie - worthy of a large Volvo black plasitc cover over them, with small Volvo badge, and possibly "DOHC" or "32 Valve" stamped into it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

How do you know the new one is "better"? It's simply new, and who makes the V8? You never know, it could be excellent or it could be a piece of crap. Obviously the T-5 was good enough for you when you bought it, is it deficient in some way or are you just worried that someone else might have a "better" car than you? I could never understand why some people are so obsessed with having the latest and greatest.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ford V8's are alright, IMO not worthy of a Volvo badge on them, but typical of any other domestic V8. I'd be surprised if one lasted more than 150k miles without getting pretty tired.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You haven't been paying attention. While you weren't looking Ford has been building engines for many years that COMMONLY go 200,000 miles or better before the first overhaul.

Don't believe it?

Next time you see an older model F450 with the 7.6L gas V8, ask the guy driving it how many miles it's got.

How long's this been going on? Oh, I don't know...at least a couple of decades I guess.

The 7.5L V8 has been out of production for several years now. It's been replaced by a slightly smaller 6.8L V10. That engine is expected to have at least similar life-to-overhaul potential.

Sorry to burst your strongly held conviction that everything made in the US is junk.

Pat

PS - By the way, where do YOU work? Do you personally make any kind of consumer product? Remind me not to buy anything made by somebody like yourself.

Reply to
Pat Durkin

I make quite a few things myself, all of excellent quality, but then with my own projects cost is no object, at least relative to mass produced items. I'm not sure why you'd want to not buy something made by somebody who's an extremely anal retentive perfectionist but that's their problem. If everyone was like myself, everything would be very well made, easy to service and consequently relatively expensive.

Not everything made here is junk, but sometimes I do wish we could return to a time when Made in the USA was something to be proud of, these days most things made here are competing with cheaply made overseas stuff so quality drops to keep the prices down.

I've owned a number of domestic vehicles, a couple of them were Fords, I've always done all my own mechanical work and I end up doing it for friends too. Yes a few engines made here have been pretty good, I've seen a few V6's and V8's with over 200k on them, domestic Diesel engines are also often very good, but I've had poor experience with domestic gasoline engines, helped replace a couple big block V8's that were very tired at around 145k, helped out with two different Taurus transmission swaps, they'd died at around 130k and I've heard of many more, my '88 Ranger pickup was falling apart at 95k miles, burned and leaked oil, transmission was notchy, clutch was starting to slip, the Escort I had for a while before that had around 170k and was burning oil and smoking badly, power seatbelts were broken, interior panels falling apart, not exactly confidence inspiring.

Then I got my Volvo, '87 740 Turbo, it drives almost like a new car, the interior has held up very well, paint still looks good, at 260k miles it runs excellent, doesn't burn any oil, all the accessories work, I was sold. When 200k becomes the norm and 300k not unheard of, then perhaps I'll look again at domestic cars, but I had my own experience with them and it was negative, I've driven a number of fairly new ones and have not been impressed with the overall fit and finish, there's just no comparison to the better European and Japanese stuff, maybe some day that'll change, I don't yet see it coming.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ouch! Sounds like someone's got a USA A-OK chip on his shoulder! Even if the engine lasts, will the transmission? My personal philosophy is "Always buy quality goods regardless of where they are made." That being said my 1994 Dodge Caravan has more than 250,000 KMs on it and still runs well. Of course it's got the Mistubishi engine in it ! {:-)>

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B.

Actually when Volvo Cars was owned by Volvo Group (not Ford), they did make V8s and the Volvo Group still does. There were used in their trucks. One of the inline 4 cylinder Volvo car engines was said to be basically 1/2 of the the petrol B36AV V8 truck engine.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Mate! Get over it. It was "tongue in cheek"!!!!

I was commenting on a "why is it always so" issue of life in a light hearted way................never mind.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Rayner

No, it's not a Ford V8. The V8 will be made in Japan by Yamaha. Rgds, Carl

"Rob Guenther" skrev i meddelandet news:XZxYb.5554$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Carl / Sweden

That may very well be true in Europe or anywhere else but North America. There's a saying that one should never say "never" so I'm reluctant to say there's never been a Volvo gasoline-powered truck engine in North America, but my suspicion is that that may be the case. In the US, Canada and Mexico, Volvo's only engine is an inline 6-cylinder turbocharged and intercooled 12.1L diesel known as the VE D12D. It is a very good engine with a B-50 rating of 1,000,000 miles. Its standard power output is 365 @

1900 RPM with 1350 ft lbs of torque @ 1100 RPM. Optional ratings of 395, 435, and 465 are also offered, with torque up to 1650 ft lbs @ 1100.

In the past Volvo also offered a 7-liter 6-cyl diesel in the US, along with an earlier 12-liter prior to 1994.

In Europe there is a 16-liter with ratings of 550 and 610 HP.

Volvo is reputed to be the world's largest producer of large diesel engines.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Durkin

Reply to
Rob Guenther

super dooper model is going to be released this year! >>

Glug glug glug.... thank GWB for all that he's doing to ensure we can drive around these gas guzzlers.

Reply to
Kamm2MacD

The great rise of the SUV was well under way before the current US President took office.

Why don't I hear anyone groaning about the massive market share shift towards trucks which happened during the eight years of Bill Clinton? Remember when he cut loose oil from the strategic petroleum reserve to lower gasoline prices????

Lest you think me a simple partisan, I voted for Clinton the first time and am still a registered Democrat.

John

Reply to
John Horner