97 outback pulsating brakes

our outback has started having some pulsating in the brakes; usually at freeway to offramp speeds; but sometimes, at about 30mph or lower...

the car shuders a bit (slight vibration, not "is this thing going to fall apart" sorta vibration).

Someone said it was the anti-lock brakes -- it was thinking it needed to "kick in" but I'm hardly braking hard enough to lock up a tire.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

At first i thougth it migth be a warped rotor; but it doesn't happen consistant enough to warrant that conclusion...

Thanks

-josh

Reply to
Josh Assing

I had the same problem. I have replaced brake pads and resurfaced brake rotors on the front axles. Vibration has practically gone. Sometimes I have a slight vibration when I hit a brakes at 20-30 mph, but it's nothing compared to what I had before. I have had same things done with rear brakes, but that was about 2 years ago. So, I think if you will buy brake pads and find good garage / workshop, you can fix your brakes for all 4 wheels for about 200$ (2x30$ for brake pads and 2x60$ for brake rotors resurfacing).

Reply to
Guest

Resurfacing warped rotors will leave you with little or nothing left. Just buy new ones. They're cheap enough.

John

Reply to
Fred Flintstone

Reply to
Josh Assing

Reply to
jimuntch

KEWL!!! thanks -- that's the 1st bit of advice I got that makes me feel good.. I was going to replace them all & use top quality pads.... it's getting a little annoying and worse...

The "abs" reas>I had the exact same problem with my 97 Outback. I've always done my own

Reply to
Josh Assing