'04 PDTDI clutch slipping

First time I looked here for answers, so if this problem has been addressed before,sorry. I have an '04 Golf, PD,TDI. 19,500, easy, mostly hiway miles. About two weeks ago, the clutch started to slip, usually in 3rd, or 4th, running along steady, then punching it a little to change lanes, or pass somebody, and bam, R's go up for an instant, clutch slips, then grabs. First I thought maybe a slick spot, since we have been having alot of snow and ice, but no, it's doin' it on dry pavement. What the heck is goin' on with the clutches in these things? My car is completely stock. No mods, chips, nothing. I read on web pages like Freds TDI Club, about alot of clutch slip prob.s, but it seems these are on cars that have been tricked out in one way or another. Any VW techs out there, that can give me the inside poop on these clutches? I gotta get this back for warranty, cause if I let it go, it's gonna look like I smoked the clutch. BTW, I am totally familiar with the mechanics of clutches and diesels, etc., heck, I drive a big truck for a living, and some years back, I worked as a heavy truck/diesel mechanic for 12 years. I am just out of the "loop" with what might be a common problem with these TDI clutch set ups. I sure could use some input on this situation. Thank You.

Reply to
FornoW

I haven't had any issues like that on the TDI-PD yet but what you need to do is discuss the problem with the VW dealer and VW district rep. VW doesn't warranty clutches for excessive wear, but if the dealer removes the clutch and the lining isn't burnt off or worn then VW may pay for the repair.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Does the TDI-PD have the same under-rated clutch setup as the 03 TDI? I have an 03 with just a chip that I rarely drive hard and the clutch is slipping. I am waiting for the tax refund to buy the dieselgeek retro clutch that has about double the torque handling ability of the stock 03 assembly. I regularly get 50 mpg US gallons and sometimes

53-54. I d>I haven't had any issues like that on the TDI-PD yet but what you need to do

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning