16v drinking oil

mark 2 16v e reg when you excelerate hard black smoke from the exhaust when cruising at 70 mph for a long period of time its also drinking lots of oil please help.

Reply to
GARY BUSHELL

- What weight, type of oil are you using?

- What is the general climate in your area, temp wise?

- How many miles on the motor?

If I remember right blue smoke usually means a too rich mixture, black = oil getting past the rings/valve guides.

Without anything else to go on I'll surmise you need to have your rings replaced. Before you get too worried get a wet/dry compression test to see where you stand.

TBerk

I thought blue was oil, and black was mixture?

Reply to
Biz

Blue is dino oil. Mobil1 does not make much visible smoke. Rich is black. A valve job will fix the problem or not. If a valve job does not fix it, a cylinder bore, fresh pistons and rings will help.

Driv>GARY BUSHELL wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Agree. Carbon build up in the valves and head. Try sea foam or some other product that will break up the carbon. Black is also a rich fuel mix IIRC.

Backwards...

Reply to
Peter Parker