1982 volkswagen hatachback won't start. Can any one help?

Gas powered, water cooled, 1982 volkswagen hatchback. Problems started small. Loss of power going up a hill or any time you had to give it more gas.It seemed like the more gas it got the less power it had. Gas would cause it to bog down. Gradually got to the point of not running at all. When I try to crank it, it will run for like 2 seconds before it goes dead again and that's only if I don't give it any gas. If I ever give it any gas, it will not crank at all for a while. Any suggestions are appreciated

-- catrat

View this thread:

Send from

catrat

check spark plug electrodes. check fuel pressure and injectors. check large intake boot

got a Bentley? have you tuned the engine lately? new fuel filter?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the info. It has new spark plugs and wiring harness, but I will try to look into the other things you mentioned. One thing that bothers me is that when I changed the air filter, it was soaked with oil. Is this commom

-- catrat

View this thread:

Send from

catrat

try to look into the other things you mentioned. One thing that bothers me is that when I changed the air filter, it was soaked with oil. Is this commom?

Errrr...common? Not normal, but unfortunately common in older cars.

Oil is being blown or sucked into the air intake. This can happen when your piston rings are excessively worn, or when the positive crankcase ventilation system is not functioning properly, etc. It is not normally a good sign.

At this age interval, things start wearing out. Valves may stop sealing as they should, piston ring wear leads to blow-by and loss of power, valve train gears or belts or chains may deteriorate, injectors and pumps may stop functioning efficiently. There are so MANY causes of loss of power.

You just need to check out the engine systems one by one and see if there is a simple explanation OR whether you may have some serious repair work ahead of you. It is usually a mistake to just start replacing parts. That can cost a fortune before you find the offending system.

Reply to
<HLS

My guess is either that or fouled spark plugs due to running rich and/or burning oil.

Reply to
tylernt

Loss of power going up a hill or any time you had to give it more gas.It seemed like the more gas it got the less power it had. Gas would cause it to bog down. Gradually got to the point of not running at all. When I try to crank it, it will run for like 2 seconds before it goes dead again and that's only if I don't give it any gas. If I ever give it any gas, it will not crank at all for a while. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Check whether the carb float does not have gas inside. My 2000 Golf I

1.3 (yeah, they stil make 'em in South Africa) had a similar problem. On opening the carb, it was found that the float was half-filled with petrol.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
dj_jyno

Sounds like a blown head gasket

Reply to
Tron

there are a few areas that are nitemarish here...id dump the car if i were you....because the fuel pump, pump fuse, coil wire plugs mounted on the fire wall and or cold start valve if you have one are all suspect...id say the fuel pump fuse is the first place to start or just burn the car in front of the nearest dealership ...they know how badly the electronics are...it is criminal how they let these problems go from so many different areas that paralyze the entire secondary ignition system...they deserve a punch in the face every day award for insulting our intelligence!

Reply to
jonyguitar

Thanks for all the info. I'm beginning to think that setting the thing on fire is the best idea so far. I have already replaced air filter and spark plugs and sp. wiring. To start with I had the idea that I was going to fix it up a bit and maybe save myself some gas money. It's beginning to sound like it's going to cost me more to fix it than I will save in gas. Thanks again for the suggestions

-- catrat

View this thread:

Send from

catrat