1993 Volkswagen Passt Glow Plug Problems

We're looking at Buying a 1993 Volkswagen Passat. 1.9L Turbo Diesel, 5Spd Manual, Loaded, 280000Km's. The lady who has it, drove it into the garage

2 years ago, and it hasn't been going since, so the battery was dead when I went to try and get it go, I got some life from boosting it, everything seemed to work the glow plug light came on, and it rolled over a few times REALLY SLOW. So the next day dad and I went with his Battery Charger to try and get it to go. At first, everything was fine, there still wasn't enough power, the Glow Plug light still came on, and then somthing happened, and we blew a fuse for the Digital Clock, Dome lights, and Cigarette Lighter, Also at this point in time the glow plug light stopped working. (Kept blowing 15A fuses). Tonight, we went with a battery. And put the battery in, put a 30A fuse in and everything came back on, EXECPT FOR THE GLOW PLUG LIGHT!!!! The car rolled over fine, and it sounded like it was catching slightly, and there was smoke, Lots of smoke, and it smelt liked old Keroseen. The car still wouldn't go through a while of cranking. So what is causing the car not to start, Could the Diesel Fuel be too old to start. Did a fuse for the Glow Plug light/ Glow Plugs die?? and if so, where is this fuse at??

Thanks for the Input!! CRC

Reply to
72Capri

The glow plug light should light for a short time just to prove it works. Above 40º F the glow plugs don't activate at all.

Note: NEVER replace a fuse with a larger fuse. It the correctly rated fuse is blowing, find and fix the problem first.

You have not indicated that you have replaced the battery. That is likely the reason it will not start. Diesels need good batteries to start. The start on compression, no spark so if they battery can't turn it over fast enough it can't start. Also if it has poor compression it will be more difficult to start.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
none2u

There is fuel going to the pump, I can see the fuel in the lines going to the injector pump, and I guess it's getting to the cylinders, becuase there's all the smoke. i've been reading, and it sounds like the Glow Plug Relay went, or somthing related to it like that. I'm going with somebody who is more knowledgeable about diesels than my father next time we try to get it to go. Also the battery we put in it is a good battery, it came out of our daily driver, we also hooked up the booster cables to it from another car that was running to keep the power up.

Reply to
72Capri

That's interesting!

That would seem to kill 72 capri's glow plug suspicions if it is summer where he is.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

For my '81 Rabbit diesel it is 40~50 degrees "C" not "F".

I think no power to glow plugs, probably relay...

Mike L

Reply to
Mike L

Minus 40, no difference. Plus 40, big difference.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
none2u

we're going on Saturday to try a bunch of things, I'm going to take all of these ideas that everybody is giving me, and I'm going to go with some of the Info off the net. Hopefully I can post back with good news! But where is the Relay for the Glow Plugs?

Thanks CRC

Reply to
72Capri

Go buy a Haynes manual at Autozone before you attempt "bunch of things" so you know what the specs are to test things with. If I was the old lady, I wouldn't have let you touch my car until you bought it. Nothing worse than frying up some weak VW wiring.

Reply to
Peter Parker

We got it going, It was getting fuel to all the injectors, and it kicked a few times with Ether being sprayed into the intake. But it still wouldn't run, so they towed it out on the road, and caught it in gear, Runs great!!! Not a tick, shuts down and starts up just great!! Everything works, We replaced that fuse with the correct one (It was my father who put the 30 in not me) and everything is great, we're going to purchase it. Needs a New Exhaust from Stem To Stern, and Need to have the glow plugs looked into. Thanks!!

Still a few questions..

Where is the Relay for the Glow Plugs at??? Anybody know an approximate cost for a whole exhaust?? I'm going to start looking now. But if anybody knows some prices. Lemme know!!

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
72Capri

Reply to
none2u

Yeah. It went. We got it home tonight, it wouldn't start though by rolling it over (Glow Plug light still doesn't come on) so we ended giving it a push, and dad caught it in gear going down a hill. On the brief trip home, it overheated, not enough Coolant in the system, the clutch was slipping, and the power steering isn't working so well. Just got it and we're already into the money. Brand new Exhaust system = $1000 Cnd.!!! Luckily we can knock off about $500 becuase we still have the Catylatic Converter and the Centre Pipe. In the morning, or near future we'll get it running again, and top off the Anti-Freeze, and see what happens. Thats our main concern now, besides the exhaust. I enjoyed the ride home, it was tight, and there was barely any roll on the corners. I can't wait to really drive it!

Thanks

CRC

Reply to
72Capri

Ok I don't know if anybody is still watching this. But if they are. I want to thank everybody, and I want to share good news.

I went to our local VW Mechanic, and he told me where the Glow Plug relay was located. I was also on tdiclub looking around, and asking questions, but nobody replied. I heard a bunch of Relay Numbers, and where they might be. AND HIGH PRICES!! So the Relay was in the #12 Position. I take it out, and it's got the Number 104 on it. I was preplexed, because all the relays I had heard about were, 108, or 109, and

109 is the Main Relay. So 104 was kinda wierd, so I searched it, and this came out of the #12 position. I took it apart, and put back into the #12 Position, manually touched the two contacts together for 10 seconds, it was cool tonight, and it was cooler this afternoon. So I did that, pushed the clutch in, turned the Key, and no sooner had it turned and the car took off. I was Amazed!!! So we're buying a new relay, and then we'll buy new Exhaust!! It's all coming together well!!

Thanks

CRC

Reply to
72Capri