1995 jetta coolent is turning rust color

I have a 1995 V.W. jetta with a 2.0 engine. It just started having some trouble with it's accelerating today, so when I got home I started to smell like burning rubber. So I opened the hood to see if a belt came off or something. When I opened the hood the engine fan was still going even though I shut the car all the way off, and pulled the key out. Then I notived smoke comming from the coolant container. So I waited for the car to cool and checked the coolent, it was low so I put some in it and notice it was turning a light brown. Then I turned the car on and then the coolent container started to raise the coolent up, and I noticed that the coolent started turning more of a rust color and then started to get darker in color and smoking. so that is when I shut the car off. So I was just woundering what is wrong with it, could it be the Head Gasket or something else?

Reply to
ss17goku

When the engine is hot, the fan is supposed to run for a little while after you remove the key. That's why you keep stuff out of the fan at ALL TIMES, unless you've disconnected it or the battery.

Since you didn't say there was anything wrong with any hoses or belts, there's probably a coolant leak. Common places are the water pump or the plastic coolant hose fitting on the side of the engine, above the transmission. Looks for crusty deposits there and around other places where coolant hoses connect up.

Hopefully the coolant hasn't run so low that the engine seriously overheated, warping the head. Assuming that it hasn't, the cooling system needs flushed, the system pressure checked, leaks repaired and refilled with the proper coolant. While it's all apart, if the hoses have't been replaced before.

Could have been a problem with the head or gasket, but probably not. At least not before it overheated.

Also check the fan belt. It connects the electrically driven fan on the driver's side to the one on the passenger (US).

Where are you at? Want advice on a good mechanic?

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

to check for blown head gasket, look for signs of the water and oil ixing - 'mayonaise' either under the filler cap or on the dipstick. also, take to a garage and ask them to do a sniff test. this is basically putting an exhaust emissions sensor into the cooland expansion tank. it will pick up any exhaust fumes that have found their way thru into the cooling system.

could just be a cooland leak. fill it with water and put the cap on, then run the engine and look carefully at all the water pipes for any signs of leakage. you might also find theres white/green/blue crystals around one of the joins which would indicate a leak. if you find a burst pipe, replace it. if there is a leak from a join - pull it apart and clean it up then refit it. run the engine again to check that the leak is fixed.

***never add cold water to a hot engine, as you risk warping the head***

when you've got it leak free, fill with water and add a cup of washing powder (persil type stuff) and run it for a while (at least 30 minutes). let it cool, then disconect the top hose from the radiator and flush it both ways with a hose pipe until the water runs clear. drain and refil with antifreeze.

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

If it's a automatic may be trans cooler, if not maybe engine oil cooler if there is one!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't think it is a coolent leak. It seems like a transmission problem, because it doesn't have any overdrive, I can only take off slow now. If I hit the gass hard it just revs up, like it is in nuetral, and if I when I hit the gas hard, that is when I smell the smell of the burning rubber.

Reply to
ss17goku

If the coolant is changing color & starting to look red. Your radiator is leaking internally allowing the coolant & tranny fluid to mix. Replace the radiator & you may need to replace the tranny & torque converter.

Craig

Reply to
CanadianCray

If the coolant is low, and it looks like mud, you probably have a coolant leak, and it needs flushed and changed regardless.

Burning rubber, or burning tranny fluid? Does this model have a dipstick to check the fluid? If it has it, check the transmission dipstick for the tranny, sniff the fluid. That what you're smelling? If so you'll need at least a fluid change, maybe a tranny repair, rebuild or swap.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Does it look like this

Pictures are from a 98 Audi A4 1.8T engine that had a ruptured oil cooler. I am currently trying to flush out the cooling system from all of the sticky gook that is now in there. :-(

Check your oil level to make sure it is not disappearing.

Reply to
One out of many daves

My first guess would be a blown head gasket. If coolant leaks into the combustion chamber, you would typically see white smoke (steam) coming from the tailpipe. But, you may have a leak between the oil passages and the coolant passages, allowing oil to mix with the coolant. A compression check would be a good place to start looking, though it won't necessarily show a leak between the oil and coolant passages.

Another possibility is the little oil cooler that mounts above the oil filter on some cars. I don't know if they were installed on your model, but if so that could be a possible source.

Also, I ran some "environmentally friendly" coolant in my car a few years back. Within a month or two it started turning a dark brown color. I didn't notice any cooling problems, but I didn't feel comfortable with the color change. So, I went back to regular coolant.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Dawn dishwater liquid work wonders in cleaning the system out.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Dawn gets that grease out huh! lol thanks Woodchuck

I was also told that Porsche techs use a pint of Shout to get that stuff out.

I will try one of these products Monday or Tuesday. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks Woodchuck for the advice The Dawn worked great cleaning up the '98 Audi A4 1.8T cooling system from the contamination of oil from the ruptured oil cooler. Suds were not even a problem, but I did flush it many times with straight water afterwards.

I think it would work great on that '95 Jetta, if it has an oil cooler problem too.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Well I found out that it is rust in the coolent.

Reply to
ss17goku

The acceleration problem is because of the clutch discs, I am going to get that fixed soon, but right now I am fixing my pontiac, it is a lot cheaper to fix.

Reply to
ss17goku

price the clutch kit out. I have a kit here that should fit yours that has been here for awhile. I probably need to sell it. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves