Jetta brake fluid turning black ?

I have a 92 jetta automatic 176,00km, I noticed the brake fluid turned black, so I completely replaced the fluid and did the bleeding and after a few days (a week or so) the brake fluid turned black again ???

Any ideas on what could be the cause ? My Robert Bently book doesn't mention any clue to me!

Thanks in advance for any help or clue ! Regards J-P.

Reply to
ArtBust

Did you draw fluid out of the reservoir before adding the new fluid? This is recommended so you do not push dirty fluid into the system.

Is the cap broken so that it is making a bad seal.. or no seal at all? Maybe you need to replace the reservoir. Would an old (plastic) reservoir let moisture through more quickly than a new one? just some thoughts.

I would try doing the bleed process again after you check the items above. Perhaps the fluid was so bad that what remained in the system has polluted your fresh fluid. I doubt that the flush process is 100% perfect.

Mark

ArtBust wrote:

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
none2u

it might be the master cylinder seals, but keep flushing that fluid out over time.

How do the brakes feel? If

Reply to
One out of many Daves

JP,

VW is playing it extra safe requiring brake fluid changes every 2 years. Many people never change it at all and never have a problem. I have 173k miles on my original fluid. If it remains sealed from the elements, and you have no special braking needs like dragging a trailer or living in the mountains, do not worry. Otherwise, consider the blackening to be a result of residual fluid in the system. If you have enough fluid, the fluid is good.

regards, KL

Reply to
Keith E. Loyd

There is more to the story............ The OP sometimes presses on the brake pedal and it goes to the floor. I recommended changing the master cylinder so he could stop when needed!

8^o I explained that the blackening of the brake fluid is probably due to the master cyl. seals deteriorating.

It is a good idea to change/flush the brake fluid every so often. I usually do when I have to do rear brakes or if the fluid does start to look bad.

JMHO

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Thanks for your return Keith...I also realise that its time to change the master-cylinder....so I will flush the brake oil clean at the same time !

Regards ...J-P.

"One out of many Daves" a écrit dans le message de news: i0h3g.71350$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

Reply to
ArtBust