1996 Jetta converter

The check engine light was on in the 96 Jetta I just bought. Dealer says it needs a new catalytic converter. If I replace the catalytic converter, should I also replace both oxygen sensors? This is looking like a $500 fix and I still wouldn't know what caused the converter to go bad in the first place. Any suggestions?

Mike

Reply to
MChamb8660

2.0 engine? What is the mileage? What do the DTCs show? What does the dealer say?

AFAIK Cat. conv. damage could be due to too much fuel, too much oil, or ??? later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave