The dissappearing VR6

Anyone else notice that the GTi is the only vehicle left in VW's North American lineup still being offered with the 2.8 litre, 24 valve VR6? The Eurovan and Jetta GLX were dropped and the VR6 was replaced by the 1.8T in the GLi. Of course there's the new 3.2 but it's only avaliable in the $31,000 R32. To bad, I thought it was a fantastic engine. Is it still being offered widely in Europe?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The 3.2 VR6 is also available in the Touareg, and (I would imagine) will be the mainstream engine for the next Passat.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I guess, it's the fading 2.8 that I miss though. It was so well matched to the GTi and Jetta GLi.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I think you're right, but VW needs to update the website...GLI still listed as VR6

Reply to
JD

It's screwed up. The "Build Your Own" section says the GLi is still running the

2.8 but the GLi subsite shows it with the new body kit, Recaro seats, and 1.8T engine as I saw it at the Los Angeles Auto Show in January. It looks great and the seats are magic, and I'm certainly not gonna complain about getting a 6-speed on the 1.8T but I liked that engine. With the 24 valve head the revised VR6 is damn good. If I had my way, VW would introduce a 3.0 litre version and a 3.5 litre version. The 3.0 could power the Jetta and GTi while 3.5 could power an R35 Golf/GTi and the Passat.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Wouldn't that be kind of redundant given the already existing 3.2? ISTR hearing that the next one would be a 3.6. After that you're sort of getting into V8/W8 territory.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I figured the 3.2 would evolve unto the 3.5/3.6 and a 3.0 would slot in below, but I see your point.

Well the W8 is going bye-bye, and the Toureag is the only other VW badged car avaliable with a V8, so I wouldn't worry to much. Obviously, VW isn't overly concerned with competeing in-house with Audi or they'd never have bult the Pheaton and wouldn't be considering the C1.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Heh. Is it just me, or does the rear end of the C1 look suspiciously like that of the Audi A4 cabrio?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Why is the W8 being axed? All the money spent to make it and it will be gone so soon? (Don't they usually try for 10-20 years out of an engine design)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You'd think they'd keep it longer, it's actually a damn good engine. But it's expensive to produce and the next generation Passat won't be able to fit it under the hood. Rumors on what will replace it are fairly rampant though, everything from N/A 3.5 or 3.6 litre VR6s to a turbocharged version of the current 3.2. Apparently, they want a more powerful six to replace Audi's old

2.8 and an even more powerful variant to slot above that for an "R" version of the new car. It'll need 250Hp or more to make the Passat really competitive, it's competitors are more or less all making 230Hp or more and tend to be lighter weight than the Passat.
Reply to
Steve Grauman