1996 Jetta- will not start

HI all-

I've just picked up a 1996 Jetta with the 2.0l gas engine that will not start- I smell gas when cranking and it has spark, so I assume the engine computer and fuel sytem is ok- It "feels" like a slipped timing belt, as it does not even pop at all when cranking, but an inspection of the timing belt shows it to be in very good conditon- I'm thinking it may be a blown head gasket, and I would appreciate any opinions as to what may be wrong.

I haven't worked on any of the EFI VWs, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Ed

Reply to
Ed

is the belt tensioned ok?

do the timing marks still line up?

what is the condition of the distributor cap like?

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Timing belt tension was good, and I'm embarassed to say I didn't check the alignment of the timing marks. distributor cap and rotor were good condition- no signs of any problems there.

Reply to
Ed

do you know anything about how the problem started? did it come on suddenly or just gradually get worse?

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

I'm told that the car just quite abruptly.

I plan to check the compression and timing belt today, weather permitting.

Reply to
Ed

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Do a compression test. Maybe you got some bend valves....... Sometimes ,if you are lucky, a new timing belt is all you need.

SFC

"Ed" schreef in bericht news:cE4nf.2700$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
SFC

Ditto! I had the SAME problem with a Voyager with a 2.2l engine. The distributor jumped a cog - suddenly it would NOT start anymore.

Ken Canada

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

So it turns out that the problem was simply that the timing belt jumped- however, I have re-set it three time now and as soon as the engine starts up, it jumps again! The belt is in good condition (and tensioned properly) with no missing teeth, but when I turn the cam gear over by hand without the belt it is not smooth at all- it will suddenly jump as I turn it in one section.

I assum there is some problem with a valve spring or valve, but I am unsure-

any ideas here?

Reply to
Bruce

finally figured it out- the 'key' was broken on the timing belt pulley located on the crankshaft. simply cranking the engine wouldn't cause it to slip, but once it started it would slip.

looks like I'll be heading to the dealer to pick up a new one up tomorrow!

Reply to
Bruce