91 golf stall while driving, will not start

I have a 91 Golf gl, digfant II. I was driving home from work today and the engine sputtered down then died mid-drive. I drive a manual and was able to coast into a parking lot. The oil pressure light was flickering the entire time the engine was sputtering down. In the parking lot I checked the oil, it was good. I tried restarting but it would not turn over, it just turned and turned. I didn't smell anything funny or see anything that was out of place (it was pretty dark out, though).

I've had this symptom before and it turned out that I ecu and icm had failed. I replaced both with a pair I pulled from a junkyard jetta with same year and numbers. It's been running fine since (~6months ago).

I'm going to check things out tomorrow when it's light out. I was curious if anyone knew how to test the ecu or icm for failure. Also if anyone has any other ideas as to what could be the culprit I'd be greatly appreciate it.

thanks,

-Matt Johnson

Reply to
mini chifa

Well the engine did "turn over" or "crank over" but just did not "start up". ;-)

The non-start could be a problem with: Compression Fuel Spark

Check the intake manifold boot to make sure it is not leaking/cracked. Timing belt could be bad and missing some teeth. Usually the engine sounds different while it is cranking over. Fuel pump relay or the pumps may be bad. DO YOU HAVE GAS IN THE TANK? I had to ask! Distributor rotors, if not Bosch, sometimes go bad. Ign coil or the ign module can also go bad like the Hall Sensor in the ign distributor or the ign switch.

Gotta test things to see what is still working. Got a repair manual like a Bentley?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

So I checked my car out this morning. I tried to start it but still not good. I checked the belts, battery, gas line, spark plugs, distributor, and ignition coil. I was surprised to see that the wire that runs from the ignition coil to the distributor cap had fallen off the ignition coil. I popped it back on and she was good to go. I don't know how it came off but i'm glad it's back on solid now.

thanks for the help

-Matt Johnson

Reply to
mini chifa