Exhaust repair

The exhaust on the car has developed a hole about the size of a 5p piece, very near one of the joints. The rest of the exhaust is it tip-top condition.

Is it possible to buy repair sections for exhausts, such that I can cut off the affected section and bolt a new piece in place?

The pipe in question runs quite a long distance and is quite pricey, hence the desire to replace the rusty but.

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

Weld a plate onto it.

Reply to
Conor

Probably better to fit something around the pipe, rather than weaken it further by removing a section - put it this way, I would think about fixing a hole in an exhaust, but wouldn't bother with a pipe that had broken in two. I'm sure you can buy repair kits for this sort of thing - never tried myself as whenever I've had a hole, the rest of the section has looked pretty ropey so the repair would only delay the replacement by a few months at most.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Halfords do metal backed sticky tape and a host of other bits inc. some sort of jublie clip affair. Jon

Reply to
Jon

You can buy pipe, yes - any steel stockholder will have it in a range of different diameters, but they'll generally only sell you a full length [which is usually about 4 or 5 metres!].

Welding's probably not an option 'cause once you get in there you'll generally find the metal round the hole is wafer-thin and you just blow holes in it rather than weld!

Reply to
PJML

That's what gas welding is for.

Reply to
Conor

Do a search for "Metal Supermarkets", branches all over the UK and they'll sell you as little as you need.

Reply to
Tony Bond

It may *look* to be in 'tip-top' condition, but they rust from the inside out due to the corrosive nature of exhaust gasses. So if it's failed in one place, others won't be far behind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Personally my first choice would be a mig welder (a type of arc welder).

-- James

Reply to
James

Even MIG won't help you get a clean weld on a partially-rusted exhaust. You'll probably find that when you take a sanding-disc to the pipe [essential to get it clean before starting the welding, right?] it'll go straight through!

Remember that exhausts generally rust from the inside-out.

Reply to
PJML

It *is* in very good condition apart from around the joint. I assume it's because mud etc tends to stick round there, hence the reason for wanting a repair serction.

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

Let it rust out, it sounds hilarious. I once had a pipe break after the cat but before the silencer, must have been rusty but not blowing, went from silent to sounding like a Caterham without the popping pretty much instantly. Sounded insane at anything above 1500rpm or so until I got a new exhaust. All the Nova boys will think you're a legend :P.

Reply to
Doki

I have a roll of this aluminium tape, quite wide and with a very adhesive backing. I don't know where it is sold but it's good for binding round this kind of damage. A few layers of it will seal the hole and not come off by itself.

Alternatively, a baked bean can (cut accordingly) over the hole, some exhaust paste or putty, big jubilee clips or metal ties to hold it in place will seal a small hole pretty well.

Reply to
Mark W

In article , S P O N I X writes

If the hole is on the underside (the road facing side) it could be because of moisture collecting due to short runs, this would cause it to rust from the inside out as others have pointed out.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Have you looked / inside / when you say it is in good condition, if you have not than you can't say it is, you might not like the idea that exhausts rot from the inside out but they do.

Reply to
Jerry.

I had the studs let go last week in front of the cat. It was suffeciently noisy for the 1800 yards it took me to make it the layby that the nice policeman came & gave me lot's of helpfull bits of paper.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I was rather worried about the same thing happening to me so I only got to drive it home :).

Reply to
Doki