2000 Passat V6 2.8L timing belt and water pump

The water pump just went out on my Passat at about 80K miles. So I've dived in and am replacing it. Also replacing the timing belt, tensioner, and relay roller while I'm in there. Also serpentine drive belt and all coolant hoses. Is there anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Taylor

it may seem extreme but both top and bottom radiator hoses , the two heater hoses , that small hose from the expansion jug back to the radiator ( new clamps for each ) depends on what you're willing to spend compared to how long you expect to keep it - and expect failure free miles. isn't the thermostat right there too? i stove top boil these these before installation.....prolly just the kid in me and flush repeat , flush repeat , flush extreme would be replacing block seals,, really close at that stage

Reply to
samstone

oh sure , now i see ' all coolant hoses' but that little one from the expansion jug back to the rad. is often overlooked.. and that was ' stove top boil * TEST* these " cheers again !! it was hot today

Reply to
samstone

you got the parts thing covered. But be careful about camshaft alignment... best done with the factory tool.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Yeah, I've ordered the tool, at a cost of $135 incl shipping for a piece of strap steel with some pins in it, and a threaded plug--UGH!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Okay, I'll check that hose.

And you think the thermostat too, huh? Sounds like a good idea since it takes about 2-3 hrs just to get the radiator in a position that you can get your hand down in there (the "service position" as my manual calls it).

Thanks,

Reply to
Tim Taylor

A tool that might save you $2000 if damage occurs to your engine. If you feel you will not need it again then you can always sell it! ;-) Tools are investments/assets! AND you have saved a lot of labor charges too! JMHO

Good luck with your maintenance.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to