2001 Passat Rattling Noise Behind Dash with A/C Fan on High

We have a new rattling or clicking sound coming from behind the dash when the A/C fan is on. I asked my wife if it made the same noise with the fan on and the A/C off. She said yes, but as I think about that I have doubts as it's been so hot I doubt the fan was run without the A/C. The air is very cold, so that part is working fine. There is no noticeable sound with the fan on the lower settings. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks, Damon

Reply to
damonl73

Does it sound like the blower blades are hitting something? Maybe the cabin filter is coming apart and hitting the blades. I am not even sure it the blower is that close to the filter, but you could pull the filter off and inspect. ;-)

BTW There are 2 passat-specific groups that you can join too.

dave AKA vwdoc1