2002 2.0L Golf Won't Shift out of Park

My 2002 2.0L Automatic Golf wouldn't shift out of Park this morning. The TCS/ESP warning light was illuminated on the dashboard for the first time. Only when I pushed the brake way down to the floor was I able to shift into Drive.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks.

Reply to
ymiller.forums

Brake light switch maybe?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

brake light switch recall if not already done.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

that'd be the first thing i'd check. have a helper stand in back of the car and check the brake lamps. if none work the brake light switch is probably bad (and probably recalled recently too) and that's why the shift interlock doesn't "think" that your foot is on the brake.

Don't do that. Pushing the brake pedal past its normal travel is bad for the master cylinder's internal seals.

Instead, try this (this works on my Eurovan, might work on your Golf). It'll take 2 hands to do this but SLOWLY turn the key while pressing firmly (but not too hard) on the shifter button. At some point in the key's travel the shifter button might release (it does on my Eurovan). When that happens, hold the button in, then start the car, then put into gear. Annoying, yes, but it's a good workaround if it works for the time being until you get it fixed.

Reply to
Matt B.