2002 Passat won't start - Help

Hello there,

I have a 2002 Passat that just won't start. After driving for nearly an hour and 15mins this evening it just died on me when I got home. I turned the car off, took the key out but left the lights on for all of

2 minutes. When I got back into the car and tried to start it nothing was happening. The car is being towed to Steven's Creek service department early tomorrow morning. The car lights, stereo etc... all work. I can hear the car turning over & it almost sounds like a machine gun when it does but nothing happens.

If any of you have expreienced a similar issue and have any insight, pls do share. Thanks!

// S.B.

Single mom who knows very little about cars

Reply to
SylBenavidez

Your car has one of three possible things wrong with it. a) battery, b) alternator or c) an electrical connection loose.

What is happening is there is just enough power for accessories to work but not enough to totally engage the starter. Thats why the starter is making a funny noise because the solenoid valve is actuating but the starter itself isn't really turning because there just isn't enough power.

If the battery is the origional than you need a new one. They are only good for about 3 to 5 years. Less than 3 if you live in harsh weather conditions. Batteries are temperature sensitive just like ignition coil packs. They don't like big variations in temperature esp. within a short period of time.

The cables could be loose where it connects to the battery. Or it's loose where it connects to the starter. Or it's loose where it connects to the ignition switch on the steering column. Or it's the ignition switch itself that is at fault. It's impossible to know for sure without diagnosing your car with a voltmeter.

If your Alternator isn't putting out the correct output. Than your battery was discharging the whole time while you've been driving without even knowing it. YES there is a battery warning light on your dash, but it doesn't always go off when it should 100% of the time. A bad alternator will eventually leave you stranded with a dead battery. Either while you are on the road the engine will stall, or you will park somewhere and not have enough juice in the battery for the starter to turn the engine again.

What you are experiencing is a very common problem that ANY car on the market can exhibit. It's one of those harsh realities like death, taxes, STDs, and potholes.

Sure you can catch it before it leaves you stranded if you are extra carefull and vigilant in finding problems before they happen. You can have your car safety checked regularly/anually similarly to how aircraft is safety checked. You can perform all necessary preventive maintainance measures like replacing batteries once they reach 3 years old. Oil changes can be done religiously and replacing spark plugs could be done on schedule.

But no matter what you do. Stuff will happen. Just a whole lot less frequently if you do as stated in the second to the last paragraph.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

a) Have you tried to jump-start it? If not, try that. If it starts, then you need a battery as the other poster notes. When batteries fail in these beasts, they tend to go all-at-once, usually at the 4 - 5 year range. From what you describe, it sound like the starter it not engaging fully... another sign of a weak battery. As this is the cheapest solution, keep your fingers crossed that this is the cause.

b) If a jump has the same results, the engine cranks but does not start, it could be a number of things, the most likely being a bad starter.

Was there any smell of gasoline, or did your "CHECK ENGINE" light come on at any time before this happened? Automatic or manual?

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw