2005 Golf TDi question

I have never owned a VW. I am thinking of buying one though, because after sitting in one it seems pretty nice, but more so for the gas mileage. I come from an automotive service background and I work on my own stuff, but I have never worked on a diesel, but I do understand the concept. How good are these cars, how hard are they to work on, what is this cars achilles heel?

Reply to
Mostro

The only thing about buying a new VW today (or Mercedes or BMW) is the electronics and electric items (sensors, switches, etc.). The Germans in general seem to be having trouble with these sorts of things lately. Otherwise the car should be solid.

Reply to
Matt B.

We have had very few issues with the new TDI-PD.

Reply to
Woodchuck

"Few"? Can you list some of them?

Reply to
David Magda

Nothing really wrong anymore with these cars.... Even Consumer Reports is saying the late model (2004-2005) Golfs and Jetta's have very low problem rates (11 problems per 100 cars)..... The 99-03 models did have some issues. You would be buying the Golf on its last model year, now it's a very well sorted car.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Mostro sloeg het volgende aan.

Wrong filling, thats the major problem.

Reply to
Arrebeest

I would highly suggest you go to

where there are many owners there who can fill you in on the specifics. I myself own a passat tdi and its a wonderful car. I get nearly 40mpg with it and its a beautiful and comfortable car.

I had some reservations, but so far it was nothing but fear.

Reply to
Leicaman

I drive a VW Golf 3 TDI and a VW Polo 9N PD-TDI. Both cars are very good! The Golf: 236.000km, 140hp, tuning. The Polo: 26.000km 145hp, tuning. Both run 225km/h. They are cheap and it's feel good to drive! Funfactor is maximized!

Mostro schrieb:

Reply to
Henrik Pscheidl