2006 passat turbo diesel wagon with manual

Why cant I buy a 2006 passat turbo diesel wagon with a

5 speed manual in the USA (Texas) ? Why is VW such a stupid company ? I drove one of these all over Europe a couple of years ago (with the 1.9L) and loved it ! Got 35 mpg at 120 mph on the autobahn.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

Are you sure you mean 120 mph and not 120 K? (about 75 mph

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yup, It was actually the Audi version but the same body and the same engine. Maxed out at 220 kmh (about 130 mph). Drove it over

1000 miles between Denmark and Germany visiting customers. The car rental people were pissed at me but they had given me unlimited milage .

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

You can't get a 2006 Passat TDI at all in N.A. Diesels are up against it with new emissions regs coming on board. VW is going to drop the unit injector Pump Duse in favor of common rail. Look for a comeback in 2007 or later.

WRT the manual tranny:

Many were dismayed that the 2005 Passat TDI was not available in anything but a 5 speed Tiptronic. I guess VWOA figured Passat buyers wouldn't want to row their own.

In the meantime, the new Jetta is almost as roomy as the outgoing Passat, and is available with TDI in either 5M, or a 6 speed DSG, which is a semi-automaic without a torque converter. A Jetta Wagon is rumored, but with VW, who knows until they get here.

Reply to
Gen Buck Turgidson

Yup, saw that at

.

What a stupid conjecture !

I will be checking out the jetta this weekend at the Houston Auto Show.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Blame focus groups and short-sighted marketing weenies. I'm interested in a manual Eurovan or maybe the new Microbus. See how far we get with these.

Reply to
LaM