2006 Rabbit

What is going on at VW? Why would they introduce their new platform as a Golf only to change it's name months later to Rabbit? Don't get me wrong I owned and loved a '79 Rabbit. But it seems that it is time for VW to shop for a new marketing firm.

Reply to
higgledy

Isn't that the same thing they did back in the early days of the Golf/Rabbit? In Europe it was called a Golf. In the US it was named the Rabbit.

Reply to
Papa

yes and yes.

Reply to
Matt B.

Not exactly. The Rabbit name was decided on before the car went on sale. However the original Golf name did appear at a few early autoshows this year.

Boy are you out of it. They already have. Within the past year they axed Arnold and got Crispin Porter + Bogusky. The name change I believe was part of CP+B's idea.

Actually I think it's a good move. While purists probably hate that the car isn't being called the same name worldwide, I think it's a swift move for the US market. Since we don't love hatchbacks like most of the world, you have to do something to give the car something and if an air of nostalgia and cuteness is what will do it, then I applaud the name change. Whatever gets the thing selling.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
none2u

If they offered it with a 2.0T I'd be looking at it.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Reply to
none2u

They have the engine they need, just not in North America yet.

-- Mike S

Reply to
Mike Smith

Why did the omit the Rabbit nameplate from the rear? The chrome bunny seems lost. And where is the marketing blitz?

I am just glad that I did not buy a Golf last year.

Mike Smith wrote:

higgledy

Look, if you want to all you have to do it get some fishing line and nail polish remover, get rid of the stupid Rabbit emblem and stick on a GOLF to be like the rest of the world. Not that complicated.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Dream on. "Stripped" today in the US would still mean power windows and A/C. A Rabbit 2.0T wouldn't weigh enough less than a GTI to be noticeable.

And if you did take out the A/C and power windows, nobody except for a couple of enthusiasts looking for a showroom-ready autocrosser would buy such a vehicle. The likelihood of VW or any manufacturer building a stripped-down car with the hottest engine available in the bodystyle is pretty much zero and the likelihood of anyone buying such a car is barely any higher than that.

Reply to
Matt B.

That "World Class" Yaris has been beat by the Honda Fit in every comparison test I have seen. I've test driven them both and the Fit is really fun to drive with a lot of utility. The Yaris was bland and boring. BTW, didn't the "proven" Yaris just get a recall?

Reply to
Mike Wolf

Reply to
none2u

Tom: I wished VW never intro'd the Golf in the '90s. I just think the

2006 Rabbit will get more notice if it's name were spelled-out on the hatch like previous models.

Tom Levigne wrote:

Reply to
higgledy

Bidding my time till they intro the rab deisel in canada. My old bunny is an 82 with 425K on it and getting near retirment age.

82 eng> Tom: I wished VW never intro'd the Golf in the '90s. I just think the
Reply to
team3m

Try

Lots of sources there. Good luck.