Ques: about Rabbit style Cabrios.... what years came with the 4 headlight grill and factory body kit?

Hi all, I have a question about the older Rabbit style Cabriolets. What model years came with the 4 headlight grill and factory body kit(side skirts and big bumpers)?

Thanks for your help!

Pat

81 VW Pickup 86 VW Iltis

My site:

IltisVW
1988 & newer i belive. all 90's have them i know for sure.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

What was the last year for the Rabbit body style?

Reply to
IltisVW
84 is offical last year of Rabbit Mk1 in the us, how ever the Cabriolet used it until 92

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

How VW still makes the Rabbit in some countrys, here is the link to the newset one.. rabbit body, brand new interior, and it's called a Citi Golf

Lee
1988. That's what I have. The 1987s only had 2 headlights, not 4.
Reply to
Papa

1993 actually.
Reply to
Matt B.

I have an 89 I've been fixing up. I had it all fixed up and went to pass the MASS inspection last month and you know what - it passed. The car was not even running when I bought it, had it towed home by AAA. So the wife takes it out for her inaugural spin and guess what - the brake master cylinder fails. She's only going 2 mph at an intersection and the grill of the car gets impaled by some guys open pickup tailgate. Broke one of the driving lights in the grill too.

To make a long story short I had to replace the radiator and the grill (since the grill pushed into the A/C condensor with pushed into the radiator cracking the plastic where the bracket goes into it). I searched far and wide and could not find a cheap ( 1988. That's what I have. The 1987s only had 2 headlights, not 4.

Reply to
David Sykes

While we're on the subject, there wasn't actually at 94 Model Cabriolet/Cabrio here in the U.S. was there?

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

Nope. It returned for '95.

Reply to
Matt B.

model years came with the 4 headlight grill and factory body kit(side skirts and big bumpers)?

************ Not sure which years but it's the Wolfsburg Edition that has what most folks call the "Clipper Kit" - with the rubber bumper covers, flares & sideskirts, & the 4-light grill. I have the flares, sideskirts, & rear bumper from a '90 model for sale if anyone needs them (also the console with the gauges). I also have the grill & lights but it's all new (well one light is a couple years old) so I'm not willing to part with it cheaply. BTW new price at the dealer is: Grille - $90; lights - $70 each. I may be getting a discout though... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

A flower is nothing more than an educated weed.

Reply to
ThaDriver

1988 to 1993 in the US

Really? Don't all our 1988-1993 ones have this? I don't recall them ever looking different across those years here. (or maybe every one I saw from '88 to '93 were Wolfies...heheh).

And the "Clipper Kit" name comes from the UK version of this body package called "Clipper".

Reply to
Matt B.